FT Spear - with a drag rudders & speed brake

dap35

Elite member
I'm mostly done with the build, just need to add the last wing tip/rudder, electronics, and balance. I have not flown a wing before, but decided to add drag rudders, so I modified the existing ones and extended them to make split rudders. I also figured out how to get the Aura programmed to limit the servo on each side so that it only opens up.

61964476732__38572F4F-6771-4B8C-9047-1B331C6A83EF.jpeg IMG_2413.jpeg IMG_2413.jpeg 61964476732__38572F4F-6771-4B8C-9047-1B331C6A83EF.jpeg IMG_2414.jpeg IMG_2415.jpeg IMG_2416.jpeg

Timmy

Legendary member
I'm mostly done with the build, just need to add the last wing tip/rudder, electronics, and balance. I have not flown a wing before, but decided to add drag rudders, so I modified the existing ones and extended them to make split rudders. I also figured out how to get the Aura programmed to limit the servo on each side so that it only opens up.

View attachment 177542 View attachment 177541 View attachment 177541 View attachment 177542 View attachment 177543 View attachment 177544 View attachment 177545
Interesting! I'm interested to see how quickly it slows down.

View attachment 177542 View attachment 177541 View attachment 177541 View attachment 177542 View attachment 177543 View attachment 177544 View attachment 177545
Wow - Hey that's some high level RC engineering right there. Killer.

dap35

Elite member
I maidened on Monday. It took two 3S 2200 batteries to get the CG right, but with the extended winglets, I am not surprised.
Windy day, but It flew pretty good and the drag rudders worked well.
IMG_2421.jpeg

One challenge I see is that with the winglets placed per the plans, it makes hand launching a bit challenging. I am thinking of cutting them back to be flush with the leading edge. Do you all think that will impact the flight characteristics much?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
NICE! Before I watched the video, I thought you were splitting the Elevons. Might be a cool progression. ;) :)

dap35

Elite member
Thanks! I flew again today. I had changed to an APC 9x6 prop, still running on a 3Sx2200.
We had storms coming through so it was pretty windy and gusting. Nerve wracking!
Before I went out, I performed some minor surgery to trim the winglets back to match the leading edge. This made the launch less awkward and I don't think it changed the handling. At some point, I am going to redesign the winglets to extend back and allow for a larger rudder segment. Currently the rudder surface is about 2 inches. I would like more rudder authority.

dap35

Elite member
This morning, I removed the in-board surface of the winglets and extended the rudder surface to 4 inches long. So the drag rudders are no longer split.

Way more responsive.

dap35

Elite member
@dap35 How well do the speed brakes work? You mentioned in the video that you havn't tried them yet.[/QUOTE
I went out and tested the simplified version Tuesday. No flight video, I'm going to have to get a GoPro or something so I can capture these things.

No hard measurement on the speed brake, but I think they work fairly well. The rudder authority is vastly improved. Enough so that I cut of the test modifications I made and remade them. You can see the test I cut off on the table :)
IMG_2423.jpeg
IMG_2423.jpeg

Attachments

• Drag_Rudder_V2-extended.pdf
    5.9 KB · Views: 0