Problem with FT Aura 5 Lite

JustDucky

Last month my wife bought a Hookll PT-17 Stearman for my birthday. Absolutely beautiful bird. I had recently purchased a FT Aura 5 Lite and a Spektrum satellite receiver for a different project, but I decided to shove 'em into the Stearman instead. Things seemed to be going well with this setup and the flight stabilization was doing a good job of masking my relatively novice flight skills. Until today...

On my first flight of the day I noticed that the 6 axis stabilization mode was not working. I double checked my assigned switch and it was in the correct position. But, I figured I do need to advance my skills, so I continued the flight. After a few minutes, I brought her back down, opened the hatch, and began to investigate. Eventually decided to just reset the board and try again. Still no 6 axis mode. Again, I figured that I need to push myself and made the call to continue on with the second battery. Foolish, foolish me.

After completing my usual ground checks, I proceeded to take off. Things went wrong remarkably quick. I immediately noticed that my ailerons were almost completely gone and she was pulling left pretty bad. The ailerons had so little effect that I had to use rudder instead for my turns. "Okay, I can handle this. I have practiced on the simulator. I still have enough control to get her around and land" I thought to myself. Soon after it felt like the rudder was starting to lose control to one side. It was abundantly clear that I needed to get her back on the ground as quick as possible. She put up a fight, but I soon had her (roughly) lined up with the runway. I made the worst approach I have ever seen. Then, while still about 6 to 8 feet up, she tip stalled. There was nothing I could do. She hammered in with a sickening POP sound. I knew a lot of glue would be in my future.

I picked up the pieces and returned home. Once there, I began my accident investigation. First, I hooked up a servo tester to the ailerons. Full travel. No problem there. Plugged them back into the Aura. They hardly moved. Next, I borrowed an AR6100E from another plane, installed it in the mangled Stearman, and confirmed that all of the servos were fully functional. I then took the wing from another plane and plugged that into the Aura board. Limited travel. Further scrutiny relieved that there seemed to be some unintended mixing between elevator and ailerons. I know I never programmed that, but I double checked my transmitter anyway. I even turned off all mixing just to be sure, yet this problem persisted.

I only had around 5 or 6 flights on this airplane, so it really hurt to see it get smashed up so badly so soon. Initially, I was pleased with the Aura 5, but with this sudden problem, I am no longer so sure. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems like this with the Aura 5. Any recommendations as to how I might fix this issue (or a good alternative RX)?

TL;DR: My Aura 5 was working fine then suddenly lost almost all aileron control and seemed to add an unexplained mix with the elevator. Unable to deduce why.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Sorry to hear about these issues. :( Have you used the configurator to do any config, or just the buttons on the Aura? If you have the configurator, it would be easier to look at the configuration inside the aura by taking screenshots of the various config pages.

LitterBug

JustDucky

Yes, I had been using just the buttons on the Aura. Just now installed the configurator and right away I noticed one big problem. The wing type had been set to "Elevons Type A". I imagine it is highly likely this happened while I was using my clumsy fingers to reset the board at the field. It would definitely explain the massive change in control between flight 1 and 2.

However, the loss of flight stabilization remains unexplained. I did not make any changes to the Aura between my previous outing a couple weeks prior and my first flight yesterday. Is it possible that the board can "forget" settings if not plugged into a battery for too long?

Screenshot (1).jpg

JustDucky

Finished my repairs on the Stearman and then carefully followed Josh's video for bench setup of the Aura 5 Lite. When I tested it while still in the setup mode, the control surfaces did react properly when tilting the plane past 45 degrees. But when I exit setup, there is no sign of stabilization. I then plugged the board back into the configurator software and confirmed that the gyros are recognizing movement. I'm at a loss as to what could be going wrong here.

dap35

Elite member
Finished my repairs on the Stearman and then carefully followed Josh's video for bench setup of the Aura 5 Lite. When I tested it while still in the setup mode, the control surfaces did react properly when tilting the plane past 45 degrees. But when I exit setup, there is no sign of stabilization. I then plugged the board back into the configurator software and confirmed that the gyros are recognizing movement. I'm at a loss as to what could be going wrong here.
Did you enable 6-axis mode?

JustDucky

Yes. I followed Josh's instructions in the video on how to turn it on and have it assigned to switch C on my DX8 G2 with 0 = off, 1 = 6-axis, and 2 = 3D. Like I said, this worked perfectly with my first few flights, but then this feature just stopped working despite the fact that I had changed nothing in between.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Maybe take screenshots of all the tabs in the configurator so we can see what settings are on the other tabs. From my experience, some settings seem to carry over even when a "reset" is done. I would not put it in the air till you are completely confident that everything is working the way you expect it too.

Cheers!
LitterBug

dap35

Elite member
One thing I have notices is that if you change your TX config (like wing type), that resets the Aura behavior.

JustDucky

As requested, I have taken screen shots of all tabs within the configurator. And thank you guys for taking the time to help me out with this!

Config 01 Setup.jpg Config 02 Safety.jpg Config 03 Mixes.jpg Config 04 Aura Assist.jpg Config 05 Control Modes.jpg Config 06 Flight Modes.jpg Config 07 Servo Ports.jpg

randyrls

Randy
Yes. I followed Josh's instructions in the video on how to turn it on and have it assigned to switch C on my DX8 G2 with 0 = off, 1 = 6-axis, and 2 = 3D. Like I said, this worked perfectly with my first few flights, but then this feature just stopped working despite the fact that I had changed nothing in between.

Had a problem today where the rudder decided to switch to backward operation.

I reset the configuration on mine so 0(down)=Self Leveling; 1=Stabilization; 2=Off It is easier to hit the switch down when I get into trouble.

PS. I wonder if a thread to upload configurations would be OK?

rowens816

I realize it has been near 2 years, but did these problems with 6-axis on the Aura 5 ever get resolved? I am having the same problem now. I am NOT able to get 6-axis mode. My setup is exactly like JustDucky.

rowens816

I haven't tried to set 6-axis with the Configuration software. I have been trying the method of button pushing on tha Aura 5 as demonstrated on Flite Test / Josh videos.

rowens816

Thank you. Using the Aura Configuration Tool was the answer. Everything works as designed now. I wish I had not watched the FT Aura Setup Video. The config tool is intuitive.