Help! FT Spitfire Propeller Recommendations

Inq

Elite member
I want to make an FT Spitfire Speed and would like recommendations for a suitable propeller.

I have a D3536 - 1000KV. On 4S, it uses 435 watts. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084QJTN83/?tag=lstir-20 The ad (link) suggests a 10" propeller...

... which doesn't make a lot of sense to me because even my lowly A2212 - 1000KV on 3S uses 160 watts. It has a 10x4.5 propeller. For nearly 3X the power, I'd expect either/both a diameter increase or a significant pitch increase. What are your thoughts?

mastermalpass

Elite member
I made a start on an MS SpitFire but didn't get beyond setting up the power system and cutting out a couple formers before I packed everything up to move house.

I too saw the instructions pair a 1000kv motor with a 10x4.5 prop... So I can run my 1000kv motor with an 11x7, three-blade master aircrew prop right?! 😂

Yeah that was ambitious. I put it on the test bench with a 40 ESC and though the ESC was happy, the little 1000kv motor's tone started to waver at higher rpms and the motor itself not only got hot, but made a funny smell. 1 extra inch may not have been bad, but an extra inch with an extra blade and a 65% increase in pitch was too much for it. The little motor still works though, so seems I didn't do any lasting damage.

I decided to get something with a bit more muscle - 770kv. Here it is with the original little 1000kv for comparison:

Screenshot_20230127_004216_Gallery.jpg

danskis

Master member
My stupid Amazon pad won't open the pdf link so I can't give you the link....just look up Leapord motor chart. It will answer a lot of questions.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
My stupid Amazon pad won't open the pdf link so I can't give you the link....just look up Leapord motor chart. It will answer a lot of questions.

I've bookmarked both for permanent reference. Cobra didn't have my size, but Leapord did. Looks like 10x6 is the winning bet.

Thanks