Doing something that FT said not to try at home — Airsoft on planes

Which plane to use?

• Total voters

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I am considering it. Maybe to throw the idea out there we make big planes slap some 🔫s on them. Then we all meet up at a football field and shoot each other out of the sky. Just all sorts of big things in the air to shoot each other down. FPV is pretty much required for it though

Lord of the planes

Yeah, they had a mechanical synchronizing device attached to the engine somewhere, so it would release the trigger of the machine guns whenever the prop passed through the line of fire. Pretty sure that was invented by Anthony Fokker. There also was another guy who did an earlier version, with armored propeller blades to protect it. If I remember correctly, that failed, his prop broke, and the engine shook itself off its mountings, and he fell to his death. So it's definitely a hard problem to solve! :)

If you had lots of electronics, you could make a software version of that, by tracking the rotation of the motor with a hall effect sensor. At least according to this:
Thanks for the video this sounds pretty cool, not sure I’d be able to fit all of this into a plane 😂 (hence why there are bigger models of these planes right?)

Lord of the planes

I am considering it. Maybe to throw the idea out there we make big planes slap some 🔫s on them. Then we all meet up at a football field and shoot each other out of the sky. Just all sorts of big things in the air to shoot each other down. FPV is pretty much required for it though
If we could all get together and start shooting big things out of the sky with other big things and have FPV on it that would be completely aweosme

Lord of the planes

It worked well enough haha. I could use fpv to take out stationary balloons.
nice!! I was planning on doing it with the p-*51 (just realized I got my digits wrong, though I’ll probs end up doing it on the p-38) so if you have any tips or things that you’d do to make it better please share. also did you put it on a mini or the bigger sized one?

BS projects inc.

Elite member
nice!! I was planning on doing it with the p-*51 (just realized I got my digits wrong, though I’ll probs end up doing it on the p-38) so if you have any tips or things that you’d do to make it better please share. also did you put it on a mini or the bigger sized one?
For SURE a bigger plane. Two c pack motors could easily carry it. I'll look for the old article for the P-38 plans I used, they were really simple which made it easy to modify.

edit: looks like the article was taken down, you can use a bronco as an alternative. They key is to have a twin engine plane not only for the power but so the airsoft gun can fit in the center nacelle and it's weight will be along the centerline of the plane.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I am in on the idea. I will probably make one of these at some point but I don’t know when exactly.
I'll probably make a simple stick for Flite Fest Combat and fit it with some wing CO2 guns. I'll have to see if that is okay with the combat coordinators. If not we should do it privately at edgewater or something.

Flyingshark

Master member
well you dont need a big plane maybe the size of the simple scout or the p 51 not the big one or the minis the other one
I feel like the plane would need quite a lot of power and wing area to lift an airsoft gun, but maybe all the cameras FT puts on their planes was why the A-10 had to be so huge. Or they just wanted it to be huge for the potential clickbait factor.

flamingo

I feel like the plane would need quite a lot of power and wing area to lift an airsoft gun, but maybe all the cameras FT puts on their planes was why the A-10 had to be so huge. Or they just wanted it to be huge for the potential clickbait factor.
true

flamingo

maybe find the one thats not that much idk i wanted to make this but its too hard sure you can make this the ez waybut then it wont look the real thing that why i sarated with th ww1 phusher

Lord of the planes

If not then........we try again with something like a modified mustang were we try to put two motors on the wings and then fit the gun in the fuselage

edit: for better chances of success I’m gonna use the kit

Last edited:

Lord of the planes

I’ve reavulated my life goals and decided that I’ll probably wait a little on this project at least untill I’m better at foam building, as this is a kinda big investment so...yah. I’ll probably still work on the gun see how small and light I can get it. If anybody else wants ideas then that’s what this thread is for, and if you ever end up building it then please post. still open to ideas and suggestions

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
We need to build and test to see whether an air soft gun will work at all on a normal sized rc plane. (Like c pack size or smaller) For that I think the Guinea would be the best test bed for this. Then we put a Co2 airsoft gun in then another test with a airsoft gun. Then if possible we could see if an FT explorer would do it.