FT Tiny Trainer motor keeps stopping during flight

lleemon

I have been flying the FT Tiny Trainer for over a year with no problems. I recently saw the video with the war planes where they did the FPV flying so decided to do the same. I first mounted my Hyperion Mini 600 TVL Camera w/built in 5.8Ghz 25mW VTX to the tail and after about 3 minutes my plane motor just stopped (using a Loong-Max Tipple 800mAH 3s 20c Lipo Battery (XT-30)). Something was beeping so brought it home.

After several hours I tried a battery and no beeping.

A few days later I thought maybe it was something with being tail heavy so mounted the camera just before the wing, removed 1 extension and flew on a 7 mph 60 degree day. Flew great again for several minutes and motor just stopped. After I got to the plane tried again and flew a few more minutes via fpv fine.

Any ideas why my motor keeps stopping?

Specs on Tiny Trainer:

[Specs]
Motor: EMax MT1806
Prop: Gemfan 6040B
ESC: BL Heli - 12 amp (Xt-30 Connectors)
Servos: Emax ES9051 (4.3g) Digital Servo
Transmitter: Spektrum DX6
Receiver: Spektrum AR610
Battery: Loong-Max Tipple 800mAH 3s 20c Lipo Battery (XT-30)
Hyperion Mini 600 TVL Camera w/built in 5.8Ghz 25mW VTX

Hyperion is connected into AR610 for power.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
How are you powering the camera and vtx? Through your receiver? You may be pulling too much power and browning out the receiver.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
If your ESC is opto, you should probably run a voltage regulator for the receiver, servos and AIOs.

lleemon

Yes, connecting it to the Spektrum AR610. Is there a way to run the vtx by itself so this doesn't happen?

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Yes, connecting it to the Spektrum AR610. Is there a way to run the vtx by itself so this doesn't happen?
I power mine directly from a 1S battery. It's completely separate from the flight electronics.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The two main reasons for a motor stopping in flight but appearing fine a little later when on the ground are simply that either the ESC is overheating and most have a high temperature cutout of the motor current and the other is the Low Voltage cut out which shuts off the throttle if the battery voltage gets too low.

Not exactly sure of your setup but as a rule the more battery load the larger the battery should be!

Another possibility is that if the battery is getting old its capacity is lower than original and its internal resistance could be far higher. Both conditions will cause the battery to appear flat sooner and may cause the voltage to sag under load and trigger the LVC of the ESC.

Have fun!

lleemon

I have the servo end on my hyperion. Is there an adapter to connect to a 1S with a female servo end?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I made my fpv setup for the TT completely self contained as I was afraid to draw off my 800, 3s. Works great and super simple too.
I love the TT, it's my most flown plane!

IMG_2633.JPG