FT Tutor, batteries...

FishbonesAir

So, what discharge rate do you need? Is there a way to calculate this, so that we know what to buy?

I was eyeing the FT Turbo Tutor Value bundle. So, eventually, I will hopefully be pushing the b

Flyingshark

Master member
There probably is a way to calculate that, but I'm not aware of it. I can tell you that the Gens Ace 2200mah 3-cells I tend to use in my Turbo Tutor have a discharge rate of 25C, and I've never had a problem with them. Here's a link, in case that's useful:
https://store.flitetest.com/gens-ace-25c-2200mah-11-1v-3s-lipo-battery-pack-with-xt-60-plug/

I do notice that both of the battery options available as part of that value bundle have a discharge rate of 75C though, so you could just use that as a guide if you wanted.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So, what discharge rate do you need? Is there a way to calculate this,...
Yes, there is a way to calculate the discharge of a battery.
The formula is: MAH/1000 x C.
Example: a 2,200 mah 20C battery can supply 44 amps. (2,200/1000 x 20 =44)

This is a do not exceed number. Make sure the battery can supply more amps than the motor is calling for. Be sure to give yourself a bit of head room for the servos and anything else you might have hooked up.

Sometimes batteries will have 2 C ratings, use the lower one. The higher one is a burst rate, which you can use for a short burst, 10-15 seconds.

Last edited:

FishbonesAir

So, for any aircraft, I'd calculate the amp draw of all motors, servos, and other electronics, then make sure it is under the C rating? Sweet!

Thanks guys

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So, for any aircraft, I'd calculate the amp draw of all motors, servos, and other electronics, then make sure it is under the C rating? Sweet!

Thanks guys
Yes, under the amp capacity of the battery.
Batteries with larger mah don’t need as large of a C rating to supply the same amps.

FishbonesAir

Yes, under the amp capacity of the battery.
Batteries with larger mah don’t need as large of a C rating to supply the same amps.

Definitely good to know, since I tend to go for smaller aircraft, and have a fondness for twins.