FT & Wounded Warrior Project

Wildblue2u

Wildblue2u
May I make a suggetion to the FT crew. I have been watching and listening FT crew for a few weeks, having recently discovered this great site, and have marveled at their capacity for outreach and community engagement. I especially enjoy watching Josh Bixler with youth and non-youth new fliers. Josh's statements about family have created a kernel of an idea that I want to purpose.

What does the FT crew think about working with the Wounded Warrior Project? I am an Iraq vet and work in a military treatment facility and I have seen my fair share veterans, and a common thread are problems adapting to civilian life. Those that have families are at special risk for estrangement from their families and divorce. I have seen how the Wounded Warrior Project have engaged veterans and their families in activities to reconnect and share with veterans and families. Also, veterans with disabiliites are often not able to engage in acitivities and the Wounded Warrior Project has worked with organizations to adapte activities to be the abiliites of the veteran's disabilities. A moment of joy can do a great deal to quiet the demons of combat and given the Flite Test's crew's obvious ability to share the joy of RC flight in all it's aspects are uniquely qualified to work with this most challenging group. I'd be happy to assist, I have some contacts at Wounded Warrior Project and I hope to work with the local RC club here in Hawaii (Aloha State RC Club).

BTW, I am renewing my RC activities after a nearly 20 year absents, thanks in large part to the FT crew.

Don Kyle

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I believe that the plans FT have for the FliteTest Connections (separate forum area too for discussions around it) may be just the program you're looking for. They've partnered with MesaRC to setup the program, if I recall correctly.

I'm also a veteran (19D3P with 2/11th ACR during ODShield/Storm) and agree that this sort of activity could be very helpful for returning soldiers or even to help with soldiers/sailors/airmen in making connections with their family in what I saw as a pretty challenging life/work balance for those who had families. I counted myself lucky in being single while enlisted. We had a saying in the Army: "if they wanted you to have a family, they'd have issued you one."

Wildblue2u

Wildblue2u
I am a currently serving US Army Reservist and at this last weekend drill (Battle Assemble) we had an event that was sponsored in part by Wounded Warrior Project. It was a fun family event at the beach that encourage families in games and other activities. I have seen first hand the devastation that PTSD has on families and how seperation during long deployments create loss time between soldier and child. I can not think of a better source of bonding and healing than the shared RC experience.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
I believe that Austin is already working with the AMA on a Wounded Warrior Project.
Something like this was brought up during the podcast during Flite Fest and I don't recall the above being mentioned. It would be very nice!

Wildblue2u

Wildblue2u
AMA/Wounded Warrior Project

I have seen some postings on the AMA website about funds being collected and presented to the Wounded Warrior Project. This is a fantastic effort, but what I was thinking about is reaching as clubs or individuals to veterans and their families to get them to the field and get them building. Encouraging veterans to bring their children and spouses, as Josh Bixler so often says "to build memorys".

Of all the veteran support groups that are out there, Wounded Warrior is tops in my humble opinion and the gang at Flite Test could really be an inspiration to the veterans WW supports. Two thumbs up for the idea!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think this is a great idea too. Could have been a great help to my brother in law when he returned from deployment and had a rough time reconnecting with his daughters. Things are good now, but it took a while. The Flite Test family friendly RC approach could be a great re-connection experience for folks in similar situations.