FTFC20 Carl Goldberg Ranger 30 designed by Jon Carlsen

TooJung2Die

Master member
Thanks, everyone. Rained all day... no flying.

I forgot to mention... The whole airplane fits on less than one sheet of Adams foam board. :cool:(y)

TooJung2Die

Master member
@TooJung2Die - super nice - seems you can twiddle your thumbs until the rest of us in the FTFC20 catchup! :D
Thank you. :)
This is the beauty of foam board design. Even while taking my time with no marathon building sessions a completely new airplane design was completed in just a few days. Even if you need to make revisions it is quick and easy. If you can think it, you can build it!
(That may become my new signature) :)
Jon

Corbarrad

@TooJung2Die - super nice - seems you can twiddle your thumbs until the rest of us in the FTFC20 catchup! :D

Maybe consider adding an FT-style wing for a better chance of having your design selected in the second part of the challenge? The fuselage should translate well to DTFB.

I really like the plane you came up with. It looks almost identical to its conventionally built counterpart.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Maybe consider adding an FT-style wing for a better chance of having your design selected in the second part of the challenge? The fuselage should translate well to DTFB.
Been there, done that. :cool:(y) Follow the link in Post #1 to the FT style Ranger 30 I designed in 2015. The purpose of this build is to make an ultra-light indoor venue airplane using advanced building techniques. Qualifying for the challenge was secondary. The Flite Test built Ranger 30 is a great flying airplane. Build it as a 3 channel trainer or 4 channel for some sporty aerobatic flying.

FT Ranger 30.jpg

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I know better. The glue joint where the balsa leading edges join is a weak butt splice. It should've been a scarf joint. It was too windy but I flew it anyway. A minute in the air, a strong gust came up and suddenly there was a lot more dihedral. :eek: The weak joint had cracked. It was still flying so it landed safely. I'm glad that was the only thing that broke.

I sanded a flat spot on the dihedral joint where it cracked. A gusset made from a small scrap of spruce is Gorilla glued to the front of the leading edge.

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

That's better. I'll try again soon to get some video. It was flying really well until that gust came along.

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I made the landing gear long and leggy because I wanted it to protect the prop on landing and be soft and springy. It turned out too soft and springy so I cut off about one inch and bent new axles. That one inch difference resulted in a significant increase in stiffness. It may even look better proportioned.

IMG_1321.JPG

There's still enough prop clearance.

Jon

TooJung2Die

Master member
I like the dihedral support - I had an issue on my FB DLG wing and this should sort it out - I will try it!
Go with carbon fiber tube not balsa. Especially with the force exerted on a DLG wing. Even with the reinforced dihedral I have not attempted a loop. The wing is pretty flexible. I might make a second wing using 3 or 4mm carbon fiber tube for the leading edge. Then what do you use to join the tubes at the dihedral angle? Maybe aluminum rod?

I flew the Ranger again for 20 minutes on one charge. Checked the battery and flew another 10 minutes. She flies exactly like I remember my first free-flight balsa Ranger with a Cox .020 Baby Bee. Once trimmed she climbs counter-clockwise and glides back circling clockwise. What a nice glide! Even with this tiny motor she has a nice steep climb at 2/3 throttle. Cut the throttle and go looking for lift. She glides like a little sailplane. :cool:

Jon

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
The smaller 350 mAh 2S batteries arrived. After adding some paint, vinyl sticker, and wing reinforcement the new lower weight is 118 grams or a touch over 4 ounces. I flew her like a free flight for half an hour, climbing up and gliding down, and checked the battery. Over 50% of the battery was still left. I am most pleased with how she glides. Just like a true free flight airplane. The only time I use the elevator is when landing and I want to get it down quicker. Since I still haven't programmed the brake on the motor the prop free-wheels. It might gain some more glide time when I get the brake working.

Last edited: