FTFC20 Little_Bit_28 Designed by Hai-Lee

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That's an interesting solution. Can't wait to see the result. Another forum member, BobK, perfected a similar idea using dollar store cellophane gift wrap and aerosol adhesive. Using a heat gun you can stretch it over compound curves. Plus it comes in colors.

View attachment 143159 View attachment 143160
That is another idea just the same as I could have used the plastic shrink film, (Sola Film or similar), but the idea was to keep it cheap and simple and looking like the original balsa design.

Actually it would work/fly equally well with squared off open ended wing panels.

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I took the KFM version out to test fly today and it definitely requires some down thrust but otherwise it flew quite well. At full throttle however it was almost impossible to keep the nose down. In addition it glides as most KFM wings do with a rather steep glide slope.

Tried to get pics but the camera operator did not understand the camera operation and so I got a few good shots of the sky, trees and the ground. More pics next week I hope using the operator's own camera.

It flies and it will fly better next week!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I looked through the pics taken of the sky and if you zoom in a little you can easily see its distinctive silhouette!

DSCF0037 (2).JPG

DSCF0039.JPG

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I took the KFM version out to test fly today and it definitely requires some down thrust but otherwise it flew quite well. At full throttle however it was almost impossible to keep the nose down. In addition it glides as most KFM wings do with a rather steep glide slope.

Tried to get pics but the camera operator did not understand the camera operation and so I got a few good shots of the sky, trees and the ground. More pics next week I hope using the operator's own camera.

It flies and it will fly better next week!

Have fun!
I'd call that a success for sure👍.I've heard these type of planes can be a bit troublesome to dial in, and the pitch thing is to be expected, so it's no surprise she needs a little tuning. The fact the plane flew so well with only minor issues right off the bat is a great start and shows your experience. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would have had a lot more trouble getting that to even fly controlably. Looking forward to hear/see how this one flies when you smooth the bugs out.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'd call that a success for sure👍.I've heard these type of planes can be a bit troublesome to dial in, and the pitch thing is to be expected, so it's no surprise she needs a little tuning. The fact the plane flew so well with only minor issues right off the bat is a great start and shows your experience. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would have had a lot more trouble getting that to even fly controlably. Looking forward to hear/see how this one flies when you smooth the bugs out.
You are correct but not for the reasons you might suspect!
The fuselage was the first I rushed together and I made an error in the plans which meant that the required side and down thrust was not possible as cut, so I squared off the fuselage nose on purpose!

With the different power plant I was going to require different angles over those from the plan and also I wanted to see how severe the thrust angles could be! Best way to quantify the issue is to determine them for yourself so this version was always going to be my test bed to determine the required thrust angles for the different motor/prop combinations I may use.

With a SF prop there is no real requirement for side thrust but as mentioned there is a need for down thrust. The required angle can be plotted simply on this type of plane and so the down angle has already been set and no awaits the verification test flight!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A little more progress to ammounce!

On the 2nd version the wing tips were done as mentioned previously
DSCF0035.JPG

Completed unpainted wing
DSCF0036.JPG

The tip painted quite well
DSCF0035 (2).JPG

The painting finished
DSCF0036 (2).JPG

The 2 versions together
DSCF0037.JPG

Second test flight for the KFM is due along with the fitting of the electrics for the second version.

Have fun!