FTFC24: Build-ruary by Fishbones Air

FishbonesAir

Deal me in.
So, I'm putting in with this one:
FTFC24: Build-ruary by @FishbonesAir
Build Skill: Depends. Are we talking Balsa or Foam? Foam: 2'ish, probably better but I'm really, really slow, and afraid of making mistakes.
Pilot Skill: 1.8 Can take off, land without a gyro now. Usually. Sometimes. With the FT Tutor. Even go a little crazy in the air. )
1. FT Mini Guinea
2. B-25 (Fishbones Air plans, if you can call them that, lol)
3. AP Kwak
4. Woodstock - Another Fine Fishbones Air Original. First one flew kinda like Snoopy's sidekick, hence the name. Rebuild is gonna have a bigger tail.

FishbonesAir

Step one, recover parts from trashed planes. My son's cat, Peanut, is "helping" sorta.
20240216_122707_compress96.jpg 20240216_122704_compress1.jpg

Attachments

• 20240216_122739_compress26.jpg
    20240216_122739_compress26.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 0

FishbonesAir

https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=83425&mode=search Prairie Bird MAN on AeroFred
This is actually a complete rebuild of this airplane, and I call it Woodstock, after this guy:
WoodstockSm (1).jpg
, due to how the first one flew.

About the plans... take those with a grain of salt. I used them as a guideline. The wingspan was increased to 20", the fuselage was made a bit thicker, vertical stabilizer is, I think already taller than the original plan, and going to get bigger... Eventually I'll put this all into a real plan to publish, that someone might be able to follow. But the original Peck plan was were I started.

About Woodstock I: It actually flew pretty good, sometimes. The big wing made it soar reasonably well, but it was touchy - really touchy. too much rudder, and it was doing all sorts of funny things, all over the sky, in very unpredictable ways. Having no ailerons made it difficult to recover, once it was in the Woodstock Death Looptm. After the first 6-12 landing/crashes - with Woodstock, they're pretty much the same thing, I moved the motor from the front of the plane, to a pusher configuration behind the wing.

The landing gear, while intended to be useful, turned out to be for show:
20240216_143344_compress14.jpg 20240216_143249_compress77.jpg

You see, "landing" just wasn't a thing for Woodstock. It was, on a good day, more of a controlled crash, just like the cartoon character. I did, on one occasion, manage to takeoff from the ground using the landing gear. That ascent looked very much like it belonged in a Charlie Brown Special, right next to Snoopy's dog house... The flight went well, until a gust of wind caught it in a turn, flipped it over, and, well... yah. It was a fly-in/demo, and I think the kids enjoyed the little bird, tittering around the air on the brink of disaster. I'm really not sure why the landing gear performed so poorly.

Better luck next time Chuck - Peppermint Patty.

Scotto

Elite member
https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=83425&mode=search Prairie Bird MAN on AeroFred
This is actually a complete rebuild of this airplane, and I call it Woodstock, after this guy: View attachment 242541 , due to how the first one flew.

About the plans... take those with a grain of salt. I used them as a guideline. The wingspan was increased to 20", the fuselage was made a bit thicker, vertical stabilizer is, I think already taller than the original plan, and going to get bigger... Eventually I'll put this all into a real plan to publish, that someone might be able to follow. But the original Peck plan was were I started.

About Woodstock I: It actually flew pretty good, sometimes. The big wing made it soar reasonably well, but it was touchy - really touchy. too much rudder, and it was doing all sorts of funny things, all over the sky, in very unpredictable ways. Having no ailerons made it difficult to recover, once it was in the Woodstock Death Looptm. After the first 6-12 landing/crashes - with Woodstock, they're pretty much the same thing, I moved the motor from the front of the plane, to a pusher configuration behind the wing.

The landing gear, while intended to be useful, turned out to be for show:
View attachment 242542 View attachment 242543

You see, "landing" just wasn't a thing for Woodstock. It was, on a good day, more of a controlled crash, just like the cartoon character. I did, on one occasion, manage to takeoff from the ground using the landing gear. That ascent looked very much like it belonged in a Charlie Brown Special, right next to Snoopy's dog house... The flight went well, until a gust of wind caught it in a turn, flipped it over, and, well... yah. It was a fly-in/demo, and I think the kids enjoyed the little bird, tittering around the air on the brink of disaster. I'm really not sure why the landing gear performed so poorly.

Better luck next time Chuck - Peppermint Patty.
From what you describe I think Id try building it with about half the dihedral this time. It sounds like Woodstock 1 had a bad case of Dutch roll. Goos luck and have fun

Last edited:

FishbonesAir

From what you describe I think Id try building it with about half the dihedral this time. It sounds like Woodstock 1 had a bad case of Dutch roll. Goos luck and have fun
I'll give that a try. I'm building smaller, as the 1104 seemed to struggle unless wide open, and trying to reduce weight. Probably will eliminate the landing gear (6.5g) which also eliminates some drag.

I got new batteries which are half the weight of what I was forced to use previously, and that's a huge savings in a plane this size.

FishbonesAir

Update on Project Woodstock. This is a picture of the original balsa and tissue Peck free flight airplane, as required for the challenge:
Prairiebird.jpg
The original plan is already included above. I'm actually following the plan closer than I did the first time. I'm drafting my own though, for building in foamboard, so that someone else can do this airplane the way I did if they wish. I am keeping my major refit of the motor being behind the wing. The long, lanky landing gear on the picture above is gone, though I may fit some kind of dachshund gear to it. We'll see. :unsure:

Wingspan is back down to the original 16"/406mm, though it is about 100mm wide cord now, a bit wider than the original. I'm hoping to have everything assembled today.

Shalom

FishbonesAir

Wing done, except for links. I decided to use DTFB, and a balsa spar as an experiment. The wing also features a smooth airfoil.

The servos are two JX PDI-D56MG Metal gear. They come in at 5.6g, with the control horn. I have used this brand, but not this particular servo before. I've stripped multiple FT 5g servos in my wings however, which is why I'm trying these.
MG_wing_compress66.jpg MG_wing2_compress33.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great Job! it is Builder's knife down time for judging purposes. I look forward to the maiden vids!