FTFC24: Build-ruary by Scotto

Scotto

Elite member
FTFC24 Build-ruary by Scotto. Build skill 3 pilot skill 3.

1 Inq'd Turbo Storch (Stinson/Vultee Vigilant tail)
2 Piper Pa24 Commanche
3 Clipped wing Cub Flatty
4 FT mini Dr1

I am looking forward to a good building month. Let's go!
 

Scotto

Elite member
Inqd turbo storch
I've been wanting to build this since Inq posted it, but I got busy with other stuff. My Stinson Vigilant has been my favorite plane for the 2 years or so since I made it. The real one was America's initial counterpart to the Nazi's Storch until the much smaller grasshoppers replaced them. It was about the same size as the Storch, but with a radial engine and American shape. This however is not scale at all. It is just going to look plane-like and hopefully fly like one. I also hope the battery is easier to change than the Vigilant.
Anyway here is what I have so far. The fuse is mostly done. I messed up the pla part with the exhaust pipes with hot glue, so I made a new indestructable one out of tpu. It has gone together smooth so far otherwise. I made a wingcutlineruler instead of printing and tiling all 16 pages. Just 1 page each for the new experimental wingtips. Im going to start printing bigger tires and hopefully get the wings done tonight.

Update. Successful maiden flight. No bad qualities so far. The 0 thrust angle wasnt nearly as bad as I expected. I only wish I would have made the front gear longer. Now just to decide how to paint...
 

Attachments

  • 20240205_205345.jpg
    20240205_205345.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240203_020511.jpg
    20240203_020511.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240202_235925.jpg
    20240202_235925.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240220_225936.jpg
    20240220_225936.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240222-000603.png
    Screenshot_20240222-000603.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
Piper Comanche
I made a plan in inkscape and built this before, but it was plagued with servo failures. The maiden was off balance, but I fixed it and it flew great for a few minutes before a servo locked. I think that happened a few times and last one the elevator stuck full back, so it nosed in hard.
20240210_122503.jpg
So this time Im thrilled to have the new FT water resistant white foamboard so I dont ruin the servos with excessive polyurethane. The new wing is done. I closed up the wingtips to make them glow better.

Update. Basically done. I decided to make removable tricycle gear. I designed a 3d printed steerable nose wheel mount. We will see if it works. I used Mr. NCTs mounts for the back wheels. The cockpit hatch turned out pretty good for me doing it. Im glad I didnt cut where I marked lol.
20240301_000439.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20240210_105018.jpg
    20240210_105018.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_105134.jpg
    20240210_105134.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_105148.jpg
    20240210_105148.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240222_002433.jpg
    20240222_002433.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240222_002640.jpg
    20240222_002640.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • pa24 2.0 fuse.pdf
    3.5 KB · Views: 0
  • pa24 2.0 center.pdf
    2.1 KB · Views: 0
  • pa24 2.0 spars.pdf
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
Clipped wing Cub flatty

The goal of this was mostly just to be quick and easy to build, and it was. I think the X is quicker and lighter than a box and it works for the gear. The last one had a few too many crashes, but it was fun to fly so I figured Id replace it.

It has a 2304 1480kv motor and 3 9g servos. The tires are the same as the above planes just scaled down to 2 inch diameter.
20240229_235953.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20240222_233543.jpg
    20240222_233543.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240223_020609.jpg
    20240223_020609.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Clipped wing cub2.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
  • firewall31mm.stl
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Moderator
Piper Comanche
I made a plan in inkscape and built this before, but it was plagued with servo failures. The maiden was off balance, but I fixed it and it flew great for a few minutes before a servo locked. I think that happened a few times and last one the elevator stuck full back, so it nosed in hard.
View attachment 242399
So this time Im thrilled to have the new FT water resistant white foamboard so I dont ruin the servos with excessive polyurethane. The new wing is done. I closed up the wingtips to make them glow better.

Update. Basically done. I decided to make removable tricycle gear. I designed a 3d printed steerable nose wheel mount. We will see if it works. I used Mr. NCTs mounts for the back wheels. The cockpit hatch turned out pretty good for me doing it. Im glad I didnt cut where I marked lol.
I love the lights in the wing. Slick. :)
 

Scotto

Elite member
FT MM Dr1

I printed the plans a long time ago. I had the settings wrong which was annoying. Cutting this out took much longer than I expected, but it builds easy. I knew I wanted ailerons so I decided to keep the bottom and middle wing flat and only have dihedral on the top. Then I put the ailerons on the middle wing with one servo tucked in the fuselage.

Inq made a great resource for this that I printed in lwpla. I got lucky and found a long shaft 2204 in the drawer.

I still want to add some scale details, but its flyable anyway.
20240229_235929.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20240225_235721.jpg
    20240225_235721.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240227_012411.jpg
    20240227_012411.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240227_012407.jpg
    20240227_012407.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240229_011513.jpg
    20240229_011513.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: