FTFF 2015 Scratch Build: Sikorsky S-39

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Took her out for a casual Sunday flight yesterday afternoon. The landing gear is now perfect. No adjustments to the struts needed and the little bit of bounce on landing was perfect. I am very happy with it and she still is such a dream to fly.

Glad to hear it! If you're planning another trip out in the coming weeks let me know. If I'm free I'd love to get out and see her fly. I'd be happy to bring the camera rig out and get some video too. With our club still shut down I'm really eager to see some flying.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I certainly will! I'd also love to show you my shop and some of the things I've been working on behind closed doors :cool: Unfortunately, we are at the time of year when the weather is rather unpredictable but I'll keep you posted.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Joshua what is this?

IMG_2034rev1.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
HAHAH!!! That is a Kyosho Pitts S-2C. It was in our club's shed (for mowers) for a few years and I've been slowly nursing it back from the dead. Many repairs are needed. I had to reconstruct the rudder, which is why it is not there. If I can get it to fly again it may be a fun plane.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
You're darn right it'll be a fun plane, it's a Pitts.

Haha i will second that darn right quote. Nothing flys like a pitts. Or in my opinion not flys better. Hope you get her all fixed up willisonman and it brings you some joyful flights.
Any more thought about entering a build this season willisonman? Allways enjoy checking out your work

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
You know I am thinking hard about it but some life stuff is coming my way... in the form of a basement remodel. The goal is to rough out all the walls and such by March and then pay someone to do all the drywall. I'm not sure how much time I will really have to build this winter. As it is I have lots to do to the house to prepare for Thanksgiving. We are hosting my family. So yeah, with my indoor building space enduring a remodel through the winter I'm not sure how smart it will be to try and start a project. I have a couple small projects under way so I'm trying to wrap those up first before I enter anything.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
I can totally understand. Ill be having a very busy season myself, between family and more AMP training to further my education. So have two projects in the build off is a little pushing it but well see what i can get done.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Digging up an oldie here but wanted to give an update.

I have successfully switched over from my old Tx (JR X388-S) to my new Taranis. Along with it I did an inspection of everything. I found that the elevator servo had come loose so I re-secured it as well as the pushrod tube in the boom. It was sliding around. Throws on the rudder were too much so I reduced that as well. I carefully examined all around the main landing gear and I started to notice that the foam was slightly bowed inward at the top mounting points. This was due to the landings. While the load is spread out from placement of the ply, the base of the structure is still foam. I cut and 8mm CF tube to length and placed it between the two ply plates so that the pressure will be on the rod and not the foam. Should be more robust now. She is all set for more flight time.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Gotta love the Taranis! Having all that extra memory is fantastic, compared to my old ER9X. Having the radio talk to me for voltage, flight time, etc surprised the guys at the field, most of who are still running 72mHz.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Sounds like a good solution on the gear. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one fly. I had already hit the road when she flew at Flite Fest last year. Will you have it out at your club's electric fly in?

SmilingDevil

Awesome Build

What a nice thread, from the first Idea to the maiden.. did it start/land on Water yet? Have not found any evidence for that so far. but I skipped around a lot, mybe I just missed it..

Axel

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Carl, Yes she will be there! Not sure if the P-47 will make an appearance or not.

SmilingDevil: Nope. No place to fly this one safely. I could do a river but due to trees and currents... thats a nope as well. I considered removing the wheels for use on the snow but our field go so covered from snowzilla (3+ feet) there was no place to walk and now the field is patchy with snow and muddy beyond belief.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm making final preparations for FTFF and part of that is getting the S-39 in pristine condition! She needs a little wipe-down. Gnats and other bugs have been splattered a bit on the fuselage and wing. I've ordered a couple of FRSky protocol receivers as an upgrade to ensure I will not have any brownout conditions. Remember, this airplane has two receivers. One in the wing and one in the fuselage. There are couple of blemishes I may need to touch up but nothing major. With the fluctuating heat, some of the vinyl has bubbled up, along with some of the glass on the bottom of the fuselage. I'll try and do some small repairs to that as well. I'm really looking forward to sharing with folks how this one turned out. She is a gentle airplane to fly and I hope people can see her as an inspiration for what they can do with foam.

If you see a big yellow seaplane... Come say hello!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I saw this on one of the local Craigslist locations. Looks a little familiar!

ATTACH=CONFIG]71183[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 01111_8nLGV9ZBdAd_1200x900.jpg
    01111_8nLGV9ZBdAd_1200x900.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 5

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Looks to be exactly the same! THey chose a different location to break down the wing but I would recognize the airplane anywhere! What were they asking for it?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
They're asking $200 for the lot of stuff, which includes 3 or 4 other "shells" of planes. Misc boxes of props, wheels, etc as well. The price is too high for what is there (and I don't know if there is even a wing for the Sikorsky), but old stuff like this certainly intrigues me. Interested in going in on it if he's willing to deal? I could bring the Sikorsky to Ohio next month for you.

Here's another plane included in the sale:

00606_9zMccmeNFVC_1200x900.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It shure would be fun to play with if it could be had for a reasonable price. $30-50 would be reasonable for that without the wing panels. If there are wing panels I would pay $100.