gas to electric conversion

Romby06

Hello y’all this is Romby6 the original owner of this post hope all is well with you guys my account got banned for some reason a while ago so I have not been posting. I have completely re did the plane wirh some unique bumps along the way I have everything complete except the tune of the engine which I am trying to do now. The engine sounds beautiful but keeping it running is the only problem I can get it started but once I take the glow plug off it dies.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hello y’all this is Romby6 the original owner of this post hope all is well with you guys my account got banned for some reason a while ago so I have not been posting. I have completely re did the plane wirh some unique bumps along the way I have everything complete except the tune of the engine which I am trying to do now. The engine sounds beautiful but keeping it running is the only problem I can get it started but once I take the glow plug off it dies.

I suspect that you have lost compression OR the glowplug is running too cold, (possibly due to a degree of thermal insulating contamination.

You should try a new glowplug or even a hotter one, (i.e. 1.5V).

If that does not fix the issue and you do not wish to rebuild the engine to increase compression you could run a maintenance current through the glowplug by adding a battery, current limiting resister, and an alligator clip, (and wires of course). Change the battery frequently and disconnect when the motor is not to be run!

I would recommend the rebuild simply because compression rarely even improves with usage.

Have fun!

Romby06

hello friends once again, I got the engine running decently its not perfect but it will work now I am on the battery management of the servos. There is 5 servos I was wondering if there was a good BEC that people recommend to run this kind of aircraft?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Use a good quality 2s 7.4v lipo, or a 6v NiMh as a seperate flight battery to power the receiver. Keeping the motor on a seperate ESC and lipo.
That way if your motor battery runs out or dies the flight battery will still power your control surfaces and allow you to land dead stick.
Thats how receivers are powered with IC models so use the same principle, its just a small increase in weight from the additional battery.
Check your operating voltage of the receiver first though. Some operate between 4.5v and 6v, others accept higher voltages so you can use a 2s Lipo.