Help! GASB one FPV set up

Gambit9m

I am wanting to make the GASB one and I am wondering what parts you would recommend for a FPV set up. Preferably less than $100.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
do you mean everything for FPV (camera, VTX, Antenna... and googles, VRX, antennas for your head) or just for the plane? or something else?

Gambit9m

I don't really want any goggles just the stuff for the plane. I was hoping I could get a receiver for the camera that would be compatible with an apple device, thanks.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Uh, anything Apple device related is not going to be cheap. Most "standard" FPV gear is not Apple Compatible

Gambit9m

Do you know of some cheap VR goggles that would work? And do you know of any cameras that could have a HUD display with altitude, speed, and GPS?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You would need a seperate OSD that goes in between the Camera and Video transmitter. The majority of gear you would be looking for in that price range is going to be the older analog equipment. When you start adding all the prices for all the pieces, you will find that $100 tag will be VERY hard to hit without buying used gear.

JasonK

yah, the cheapest googles I would suggest anyone getting is this: https://www.racedayquads.com/products/ev800d-5-8g-40ch-diversity-fpv-goggles-with-dvr which is $99.99 today. [there are much better options and if you really want to get range you want better antennas, but this is enough to start with and you won't immediately regret purchasing this, I still use mine for bench testing stuff because it can be used an a monitor]

if your going to want to have altitude, speed, GPS, I don't know of anything out of the box other then a FC that can do that. This is probably the cheapest Flight Controller I would suggest: https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...roducts/matek-f411-wte-wing-flight-controller which is $45.00 today.

To get speed/GPS, you will also need a GPS module: https://www.racedayquads.com/products/micro-ublox-m8n-gps-glonass (cheapest I saw on a quick search - $15.99)

then you need a camera, VTX, and Transmit antenna for your craft:
  • One option would be to skimp and do something like this that has all of them in one [but all lower quality] https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...pv-camera-for-whoops-and-2-builds-smart-audio $24.99 [this is likely only an option really if you plan on staying with in ~1km of your head - less and it definitely isn't going to be the same quality as parting it out either way]
  • Or you could part them out
    • Camera will run $20-60 depending on what you pick
    • Antenna will run around $20
    • VTX will run $15-50 (you can get good ones in the $15-25 range, but some situations warrant one of the more expensive ones)

So if gave up on GPS/speed/etc, you could do googles for $99.99 + the AiO for $24.99 getting you going for ~$125.

If you want to go as cheep as possible, you could do something like this:
however, if you do that, and you enjoy FPV at all, your very likely to end up wanting to replace all of those parts rather quickly.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
There are some other plausibe options I have been keeping an eye on but never tried. OpenIPC and OpenHD. Both will take work to use.

JasonK

There are some other plausibe options I have been keeping an eye on but never tried. OpenIPC and OpenHD. Both will take work to use.

unless openHD has improved, the latency is to high for anything other then LD cruising (something like 100ms last I heard vs ~15ms for analog and ~30-45ms for some digital system). [for context, that is 1/10 of a second delay from camera to your eyes at 100ms... - I wouldn't want to try to fly proximity with that much delay]

LitterBug

Techno Nut
unless openHD has improved, the latency is to high for anything other then LD cruising (something like 100ms last I heard vs ~15ms for analog and ~30-45ms for some digital system). [for context, that is 1/10 of a second delay from camera to your eyes at 100ms... - I wouldn't want to try to fly proximity with that much delay]
Which is why I have only kept an eye on it. But for someone starting out, it may not be THAT bad.

Shurik-1960

I have fatshark glasses and a set of FPV transmitter + 1200 MHz amplifier .For small models (I am converting Chinese throwing gliders with a span of 76cm into radio-controlled ones) I assembled an FPV based on : FPV aio CAM + 11" car TV to which I connected a 5.8Mhz receiver + a voltage converter from 12 volts to 5 volts for the receiver. I put the camera on top of the rudder and the beautiful flight views of the model allow you to fly looking only at the screen. Here is a slightly more expensive kit that does not need a TV : https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050047...&traffic_source=recommendation&type_rcmd=core , but needs a phone with a program. Now in China they sell magnifying glasses-phone stands and a screen can be obtained up to 14".Just make a cube of dark foam for this design and put it on the roof of the car or on a stand.

Gambit9m

Do you know of any adapter or app that would allow Android compatible parts to work with Apple devices?

Gambit9m

I have fatshark glasses and a set of FPV transmitter + 1200 MHz amplifier .For small models (I am converting Chinese throwing gliders with a span of 76cm into radio-controlled ones) I assembled an FPV based on : FPV aio CAM + 11" car TV to which I connected a 5.8Mhz receiver + a voltage converter from 12 volts to 5 volts for the receiver. I put the camera on top of the rudder and the beautiful flight views of the model allow you to fly looking only at the screen. Here is a slightly more expensive kit that does not need a TV : https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050047...&traffic_source=recommendation&type_rcmd=core , but needs a phone with a program. Now in China they sell magnifying glasses-phone stands and a screen can be obtained up to 14".Just make a cube of dark foam for this design and put it on the roof of the car or on a stand.
Would this work with a Apple phone?