Getting Back into the Hobby, Looking for Recommendations

Ian_Plasch

Hello staff and members of Flight Test!

I am Ian Plasch, born and raised in Chicago, Illinois! I absolutely love the content coming from you guys and have thoroughly enjoyed the couple of hours sifting through your videos. Keep up the fantastic work!

I am looking to get back into the hobby and I really like the swappables series of aircraft. Seems like a really fun and inexpensive way to go about flying! So a few questions I have:

What low to mid-pricerange transmitter would you recommend? It would seem like the 2.4ghz digital transmitters are the way to go now. I last flew around the time the they just started coming out and only really know about the Spektrum series.... they are quite expensive!

The foam that you are using; what stores carry that type of foam in the midwest? I've always thought about designing my own aircraft eventually, could be fun.

How much do AMA license renewals cost?

I would consider myself an advanced pilot... used to be big into 3D flight. How does that FT-3D handle? I've got my eyes on that. Probably going to buy it sometime this week.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Ian

Kenbow

Transmitters are a touchy subject, FRsky Taranis has good reviews as well as the Flysky FS T6 and turnigy radios. I went with the Spektrum DX6i because frankly, I went with what I saw on here and have found out that most bind and fly aircraft use spektrum rx. I also found using lemon 6ch recievers at $6 helps offset the cost. The foam board is found at the Dollar tree near me and can be ordered online by the case and picked up at the store.

bitogre

Hello staff and members of Flight Test!

I am Ian Plasch, born and raised in Chicago, Illinois! I absolutely love the content coming from you guys and have thoroughly enjoyed the couple of hours sifting through your videos. Keep up the fantastic work!

I am looking to get back into the hobby and I really like the swappables series of aircraft. Seems like a really fun and inexpensive way to go about flying! So a few questions I have:

Welcome back. Ask away.

What low to mid-pricerange transmitter would you recommend? It would seem like the 2.4ghz digital transmitters are the way to go now. I last flew around the time the they just started coming out and only really know about the Spektrum series.... they are quite expensive!

Many, including myself, highly recommend the Taranis. It is a $200 transmitter that supports JR Modules, telemetry, and more channels that most of us will ever use (16 off internal transmitter and up to 16 more to JR module, assume module supports that many, and both can be use at the same time). It has the most features for the price. Problem is not many places carry it and getting support for FrSky may be problematic as it is a Chinese company. Despite that, there is decent community around it and you may be able to get all the support you need from other owners.

If $200 is too much, Turnigy has the 9x and 9xr that can be modified to use the same firmware as the Taranis. Many like the 9x and/or 9xr as they are half the price or less of the Taranis but have less features (like no internal transmitter, must have a JR Module). The 9x usually come with a JR Module where the 9xr does not.

The foam that you are using; what stores carry that type of foam in the midwest? I've always thought about designing my own aircraft eventually, could be fun.

Flite Test designed are based on Adams Foam Board, often referred to as DTFB or Dollar Tree Foam Board. As the second name suggest, it is commonly available at Dollar Tree stores for $1 a sheet. I believe Dollar Tree has stores in the midwest.

How much do AMA license renewals cost?

Currently, it looks like a new AMA membership is $29, good for the remainder of the year. I believe renewal for next year will be about $56 (assuming I remember correctly).

I would consider myself an advanced pilot... used to be big into 3D flight. How does that FT-3D handle? I've got my eyes on that. Probably going to buy it sometime this week.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Ian

Sorry, but I do not have any personal experience with the FT 3D but I bet someone else will be able to answer that question for you. I hope my answers help. Let me know if you need any more information.

Ian_Plasch

Thank you for the help! I actually just looked into that with my local store and was able to order two cases!

I will look into those transmitters you suggested.

Thank you for the quick answers :)

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Just for information on adams foam board. The Dollar General stores around us started selling adams board in the same size and also for $1.00.

RoyBro

Mentor
As Transmitters range in price from $30 to well over $1000, mid-range can still be pretty expensive. I have to agree with the previous responses; Taranis is probably the best bang for the buck. There are plenty of good transmitters out there, but I doubt you'll find all the features of the Taranis for anywhere near the price.