Help! Getting closer finally but......

Turbojoe

Elite member
Happy my failures and search for remedies are helping others as well. We should all be sharing our problems and what we found to correct them. https://all3dp.com/ has tons of good info that I've been trying to understand and implement. It may not be possible with my almost 66 year old pumpkin head.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
OK, so I was getting great prints after upgrading to Cura 5.0 beta but didn't truly understand why. I was using CURA 5.0 with a 4.13.1 config with some very minor adjustments. I decided to start with a clean 5.0 file and adjust from there as I'll be using 5.0 from now on. For the sake of fast printing I'm using a self created 30x30x2mm w/20mm hole. With a clean Cura 5.0 file my print is X=29.88 Y=29.88 Z=2.08 The hole is 19.83 concentric. I had noticed some very slight stringing before starting off "clean" again. Now the stringing is gone. I do have "bumps" at each corner that are .38mm larger than the area between those "bumps". I can cut or sand them off but I'd prefer to learn what to change to eliminate them. I want to eliminate those bumps first and then go on to making adjustments to the printer and Cura to get all my printed dimensions back to where I want them again. Based on my "bumps" what would you change? After I get that done then I'll again make the steps/mm and expansion adjustments as needed. Learning by doing always works best for me.

Joe
I have found the setting my jerk speed and cornering speed to my print speed fixes bumps on the edge

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have found the setting my jerk speed and cornering speed to my print speed fixes bumps on the edge

Thanks. That was a big help. I decreased jerk from initial setting of 8mm/s to 3mm/s in 1mm/s increments and found 4mm/s to be the sweet spot. I went from a .30mm middle width with 30.27mm total width at the corners. Now I get 30.16mm corner measurements. Any slower settings have no effect other than making the perfect 30mm middle measurement smaller. Print speed is 50mm/s. I also lowered X and Y acceleration in firmware from 1000mm/s to 500mm/s to match all the other 500mm/s settings.

This leads me to believe I've maximized jerk/acceleration but still have another small tweak needed to get spot on. Those little bumps aren't a big deal but I view it as an important learning process to gain a better understanding of all those settings in Cura. It's a good thing I'm retired and have a lot of filament on hand. LOL. In watching this CHEP YT video it appears this is mostly a Cura 5.0 beta issue. Until there are further updates to the beta I can just clean off those bumps for now and move on to other tweaks.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Thanks. That was a big help. I decreased jerk from initial setting of 8mm/s to 3mm/s in 1mm/s increments and found 4mm/s to be the sweet spot. I went from a .30mm middle width with 30.27mm total width at the corners. Now I get 30.16mm corner measurements. Any slower settings have no effect other than making the perfect 30mm middle measurement smaller. Print speed is 50mm/s. I also lowered X and Y acceleration in firmware from 1000mm/s to 500mm/s to match all the other 500mm/s settings.

This leads me to believe I've maximized jerk/acceleration but still have another small tweak needed to get spot on. Those little bumps aren't a big deal but I view it as an important learning process to gain a better understanding of all those settings in Cura. It's a good thing I'm retired and have a lot of filament on hand. LOL. In watching this CHEP YT video it appears this is mostly a Cura 5.0 beta issue. Until there are further updates to the beta I can just clean off those bumps for now and move on to other tweaks.
Glad I could help! I found that setting my cornering speed to 30mm/s and printing at 30mm/s almost completely removed the edge. It has something to do with that cura forgets to slow down the filament extrude when it goes around the corners at a slower speed then it is printing in a straight line, thus causing there to be more filament on the edges then the middle