Getting into EDFs

Timmy

Legendary member
I want to get into EDFs, what would be a good starting point and with what electronics?

List of possible jets:
  • Grifflyer's Aero L-39 (50 or 70mm)
  • Grifflyer's F-22 (50mm)
  • Grifflyer's Grunjet (50mm)
  • XF Viper (70mm)
  • Viggen (70mm)

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The viggen on either a 64 or 70mm would make a fantastic first edf. If you want something a little smaller, @Grifflyer ’s 50mm grunjet would be perfect! Valuehobbies has great EDF’s for cheap.

Timmy

Legendary member
Yes well my price range for electronics is ~$100 CAD less if possible. ($75 USD) I would like a 4s for multiple planes down the line like Griffyler said. Does anyone know of a kind of EDF "Power Pack" so I have a kind of base line and so I can make sure not to burn anything up? I'm thinking a 64mm or 70 mm EDF. I'm not sure about the number of blades, ESC or if I might need anything else.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So in my opinion you want to get at least 9 blades anything less than that and it's just super whiny. I don't know what components you need for a 64 and 70mm setup. As far as I'm aware there aren't a lot of 64mm jets on the forum, most of them are 50 or 70. So I think it's be best to choose between one of those. I haven't looked at 70mm systems in a while I just remember them being expensive. You can run one of the 50mm EDFs on as little as a 30 amp esc, that's what @jfaleo1 runs iirc, you just have to make sure it's in open airflow, preferably somewhere in the intake channel. Then a 4s 1300 which is a very common multirotor battery size. If you already have a big enough esc you could expect to pay around $40 USD for a 50mm setup. I don't remember what a 70mm setup would run but I know you'd need much bigger batteries and ESC's.

Timmy

Legendary member
So in my opinion you want to get at least 9 blades anything less than that and it's just super whiny. I don't know what components you need for a 64 and 70mm setup. As far as I'm aware there aren't a lot of 64mm jets on the forum, most of them are 50 or 70. So I think it's be best to choose between one of those. I haven't looked at 70mm systems in a while I just remember them being expensive. You can run one of the 50mm EDFs on as little as a 30 amp esc, that's what @jfaleo1 runs iirc, you just have to make sure it's in open airflow, preferably somewhere in the intake channel. Then a 4s 1300 which is a very common multirotor battery size. If you already have a big enough esc you could expect to pay around $40 USD for a 50mm setup. I don't remember what a 70mm setup would run but I know you'd need much bigger batteries and ESC's.
I think i need a better larger ESC and the reason I picked 70mm is because I see a lot of planes with that size. Basically I want something that can be reused in as many planes as possible.

L Edge

Master member
If you get into EDF's, it is going to expensive. I have flown 64,70, and 80's and to be in the game, you should get at least a 70 to be happy. It should have at least 10-12 blades(more-better effeciency) so you will need an ESC of at least 60 amps, and a battery that has at least 3300mah with a rating of at least 55C. Fans and motor also can run dollars. Even the 70's will not push you into the three digit speed.

So, expect many dollars to purchase the equipment. The cheaper it is, it won't last as long. Also, if you buy, please buy some spare fan blades, for in a year or so, the fan model may not be around and dirt, wet grass, pebbles will ingest sooner or later.

The Viggen needs at least a 70 to function nicely, but an 80-90 gives it some real pep.

jfaleo1

Yes I am running that setup and I agree on the blade count. 40 amp ESC may actually be better but no issues so far and I just got a watt meter so we will see how it actually does. 50mm is small but the planes are fast and smooth to fly. Also cheaper in general.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor