Getting into EDFs

Timmy

Legendary member
F86 is not the easiest build and not everyone likes the airplane, I don’t like the f16 to each his own👍🏻 L39 is a great choice in my opinion I have built 4, 2 70 mm and 2 50mm.
I like the F-86 as a plane but not the way it looks when its foam.

Timmy

Legendary member
So what I think I'm going to do, is build a warbird to get used to fast flying, then get a 50mm EDF and put it in the Grunjet. After that I'll do the F-22 or the Aero L-39. I'm not completely sure but thats probably what I'm going to do.

jfaleo1

So what I think I'm going to do, is build a warbird to get used to fast flying, then get a 50mm EDF and put it in the Grunjet. After that I'll do the F-22 or the Aero L-39. I'm not completely sure but thats probably what I'm going to do.
Good plans. Grunjet will get you used to the difference between an EDF and props as well. It’s not all about speed it is also acceleration (or lack there of) and lack of prop wash as well.

jfaleo1

Hmm, so EDFs don't accelerate as well?
In some ways no they do not. They are not as bad as a true turbine but it takes longer to respond to throttle input and there is no prop wash over control surfaces. Therefore you must keep the airplane flying to keep the controls working well. If you are used to setting up an approach to land with a prop driven aircraft you will find that the EDF will be less responsive to control input at similar speeds and it will also take longer to pick up speed when you advance the throttle. That doesn’t mean they cannot be fast and responsive, or even that they are hard to fly, but you must be thinking ahead of the aircraft, that’s why it is a good idea to try a higher performance plane and then continue into the EDF. They are just different, but in a fun way.
Forgot to mention the design of the Grunjet lets you have some wash over the tail to help get used to differences progressively.

L Edge

Master member
Timmy:
I have some options. Here is a F-22 with a cheap 64 that flies in a dome that use 80 ft by 160 and watch it hover. Invented the "thruster" to hover.

Here is a trainer with the same 64 that flies and launches vert and can land twice in one shot and no landing gear. Is that slow enough to learn with a EDF?

It is not an FT plane, never have to worry about EDF in dirt, takes 6 pieces to make and with my added "Stabalizers" I developed my
"SLO-MO" EDF trainer.
Not only will if fly slow, the stabilizers change the upper surface laminar flow and reduces the drag allowing the thrust requirements to reduce and my cheap 64 with a 1300mah 3s battery will fly for over 10 min! I still had enough to fly perhaps 2 additional min. As battleax says, need the video--

Plane can fly in real gusty weather and loves high alpha approaches. Change to a prop and it becomes a STOL plane. It took 10 years of playing around with EDF's to get my designs right.

Here in the gusty wind the upper winds were rotated about 30-45 off the winds as I dropped it, thats why I circled sometimes before I got into the groove of dropping. Love those short takeoffs. Developed the "Udder Rudder as a result of this.

So if anyone wants to beta it, I will help you put one together.