getting into glow powered rc planes

sierra_bravo

Hello,

I am flying trainers and for a long time I only flew dollar tree foam board air planes. I never thought about going in to nitro power rc planes until my instructor at my local field told me if I would like to fly his Goldberg Eagle 2 Trainer. Since my battery was dead and it was a bit windy for my light weight foam planes i said sure. So he let me fly it with a buddy box since I can't completely fly alone. This was the first time I was close to a glow plane so it was exciting for me when he fired up the OS .46 glow motor. It was the first time I heard a nitro engine and it sounded beautiful, a lot better then electric planes and it flew great even in 7mph wind. So my question is what you recommend to a person who has gotten in to the hobby but wants to get in to glow powered planes? I have read (and learned) a lot since I flew the Goldberg Eagle 2 and so far created this list of what I think are all the parts I need bedsides an airframe. Also I have scratch built a lot or Flight test foam planes so scratch building from balsa is also possible.

Thanks
-sam:cool:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
If you need an electric starter to the OS .46 there really has to be something wrong ;-)
The safety stick is a lot better.
But you might need a spare prop and a spare glowplug plus a glow plug tool.

Team_Monkey

sierra_bravo

thanks for the suggestions. I have found this ARF balsa trainer plane. I have read a lot of reviews about the plane and it has a lot of positive reviews. A question I have about the plane is that it only need one standard servo for the ailerons, how would that work.

thanks

MrClean

They mount the servo centrally and it turns control rods from the center of the wing. There are ways to have two servos do the job, simply putting two servos side by side in the center does the job.

Nothing sounds better then several 46's out screaming on 11x5's or 6's.. Monkey KNOWS this but is going electric anyways.

Team_Monkey

No matter how hard I look I can't seem to find the [monkey-flings-poo] emoticon....

Seriously, nitro or even gas is great for non-stop all day flying. Swapping batteries and charging does take more time. Also, the new power systems I'm running take more expensive batteries, which I'm not sure will cost less than fuel even over the lifetime of them if I'm not more careful with discharging.

Now Sierra, if you want a good trainer that will last much longer than any balsa, please check out spadworld.net for current coroplast designs, and STTB.net for the older, more traditional designs.

sierra_bravo

Thanks again for all the replies. I talked to my instructor and asked him what he thought of getting a glow plane and he gave me the thumbs up so today I am going to buy most of the parts including the plane but not the motor.

Monkey, thanks for recommending me the websites. I never knew that rc planes could be built out of coroplast but I think i'll stick to balsa for now.

sam
:cool:

sierra_bravo

I have purchased most of the parts for the plane from tower hobbies and hopefully they will ship it soon. I only need the motor, fuel, and RX battery. A question i have is what battery can I use for my Tactic tr625 RX. I found this battery but I don't know if it is to heavy(4.05oz) for the plane. If anyone knows of a good battery I can use then please tell me. Also a lot of RX batteries only have the plug that goes to the receiver and I want to know how can I recharge these batteries.

Thanks

Team_Monkey

I typically use simple 6V NiMh packs for my glow and smaller gas planes. The best place I have found to buy them is an ebay store called All-Batteries but they don't seem to have any stock just now.

That battery won't be too heavy for a 40 size trainer, it's just really pricey and a maybe more than what you need for a starter plane. Here is a possible 6V battery from Tower

Many LiPo chargers also have a setting for NiCd or NiMh so check your charger. Heck some even have a LiFe setting if you still decide on the other pack. I use my trusty old SuperBrain 959.

sierra_bravo

Thanks for the battery recommendation. I use the imax b6 charger so i would be able to charge it. But my other concern is that the battery does not have a balance plug and I wanted to know if cell balancing is as important with a NiMH as on a lipo.

Thanks

sierra_bravo

I checked on google and balancing NiHm isn't as important as balancing a Lipo. I also checked and I do have the wright dean for the battery.
thanks
-sam

Last edited:

sierra_bravo

I checked the tracking for the plane and it's coming tomorrow :cool: . the problem I have is the price of nitro. A gallon of 10% fuel cost $36. Does anyone now about a place that sell glow fuel for less.

Thanks
-sam :cool:

Last edited:

Team_Monkey

It should be about $20 at most stores unless it jumped recently. I just bought a gallon of 10% Ritch's Brew for $15 at the Toledo Show last week.

For my two cents, stay away from Byron fuel, almost as bad as them is Cool Power. I feel those fuels do not burn well and seem to lose effectiveness over time even when sealed. I really like Wildcat Fuel and would recommend it.

sierra_bravo

I will have to check at my local hobbytown USA to see if they have plane fuel. Is there a difference between nitro meant for planes and helicopters/cars

Thanks

Balsa to Foam

A Jack of All Planes!!!
There is as I know the only differences between the two are higher percentages of nitro and the lubricant packages.

sierra_bravo

Both boxes with the stuff I bought got here today so I unpacked everything and got it ready for the build. I am planning on building it on this sunday since tomarrow there is event at my field. I may do a bit tomarrow. Does anyone have tips for putting the plane together. I may post photos.

Thanks for the help and tips

Last edited: