getting into glow powered rc planes

As a man, and an engineer, I hate to even say this.... read the manual. That's the best tip I can give for assembly of that plane. If you have never assembled a balsa ARF before, a full read of the manual before you start can save you some headache. One of the first things I do, sometimes even before reading the manual, I run over all the covering with an iron and my heat gun. I run the iron over all the seams and then the gun over the whole surface, to get the covering nice and tight.

As far as the SPADs, there are a lot of options. I fly this one. It has an MDS .48 on the nose. It is a bit more robust than balsa, but it's also a bit heavier. When your Tower Trainer does meet its expiration date, the guts could easily transfer into a plane like this one.

5D6A773B-4829-4D35-BE79-EBDE9A076EA1.jpg

sierra_bravo

I finished building yesterday and it was simple enough. Good instructions and no broken parts. I said I'll post photos so here they are.

IMG_20150420_171530.jpg IMG_20150420_171540.jpg
IMG_20150420_171551.jpg IMG_20150420_171604.jpg IMG_20150420_171614.jpg
oh and there are some wrinkles but I fixed them with a heat gun. I wonder if it fits in my car.:confused:
-sam
:cool:

Last edited:

sierra_bravo

Quick update since i haven't posted in a long time. I got the motor and installed it yesterday, I found my old tool box and made it my new field box, and I got a new system to store my planes better. Monday looks nice so I may go to my local field. Also does any one have tips on how to start the motor and how to tune it.

-sam:cool:

2015-04-30 15.19.20-1.jpg

2015-04-30 15.19.34.jpg

2015-04-30 15.19.52-1.jpg

Team_Monkey

The setup looks great.
My best suggestion is to get a friend (or make one) to help you that knows how to tune. I was a registered mechanic and I didn't really understand adjusting them until a friend showed me how to do it and how to listen.

Some engines will start fine with a chicken stick. Some are easier to start with an electric starter the first time and then use the chicken stick the rest of the day. It will really depend on your engine. I bet a little time on youtube will turn up a video of how to fuel, prime and start your engine. I found one but won't link to it because the dude starts a nitro engine bare handed, not smart.

You could always check the airplane section over on RCUniverse. There are areas for beginners and glow engines, good places for searches or a question.

Good Luck!

I'd start with the recommended settings in the manual for the engine. I have found their recommendations are a great starting point. For an initial start you need to prime the engine. Without the plug heater in place, open the throttle and turn the prop by hand until you get fuel into the carburetor, and then a few turn more to make sure you get fuel in the crank case. The altitude here is about 4600 ft so I am always in a little from what they recommend, but most engines usually start at that setting and I can lean out from there as required for our altitude. YouTube is a great place to watch some videos on glow engine tuning. In essence, you want to get it started, adjust it until the RPM peaks out while the plane is stationary and then richen it up just enough to lower the peak RPM by about 400 rpm or so. If you have never tuned one before, it's always a good idea to stay towards the rich end. Sneak up on the proper setting, going from rich to lean. If the engine is new, you'll need to put a couple tanks through it with the mixture set fairly rich. Again, follow the manual. You have to set it rich when it's stationary since it unloads a bit in the air. If it's too lean, you can burn it down. I will say, I am a bit lazy and almost always use my electric starter. And starting bare handed, you can get cut or bruised fingers quite easily! Emphasis on cut!!

sierra_bravo

thanks for all the tips. I'll have to look online to find some more information. Luckily I the instructor who helps me fly has over 40 years of experience with flying mostly glow planes. The weather forecast for Monday at my field looks great 80 degrees, no clouds, and low wind.

sierra_bravo

I fired the engine up today at my local field with the help of one of the instructors help to get it broken in and man is glow fun. The thrill of starting the engine and when it starts wow its just so cool. The smell and sound is great. I did not take the plane of since one of the alerions were to loose and would flutter. But still just taxing the plane was amazing. Hopefully When I do get it into the air ill have some photos to post.

Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it.

Sam :cool:

Team_Monkey

That's awesome Sierra! I do fly mostly electric planes now but I agree, there is a special feeling to controlling a screaming nitromethane powered beast. ;) I keep a few flying just for that.

Have fun!

sierra_bravo

Maiden flight

First off sorry I haven't updated the thread in a long while but I was able to go to my field and fly the plane on the 28th of May and wow is nitro fun. When I got to my field it looked like it was going to start to rain and surely enough it started to pour down and a lot of guys started to leave so it was me and two other guys left at the field. I waited 5 minutes the storm passed and the sun even came out. There was no wind at all not even a gust after the storm so I decided to fuel the plane up and take it to one of the stands my field has to start nitro planes. I started it up and one of the guys said that it didn't sound right and he started to tune it. After he tuned it I set it on the ground and took off. The plane had tones of power with the .46 and a 10x6 prop and had unlimited climb. I was cruising at 1/4 throttle and wasn't dropping altitude. the plane was super steady and was flying on rails. I passed the transmitter two the other guys at my field to get there opinions and they both loved it. The plane is a trainer but that didn't stop one of the guys from performing all kinds of stunts like rolls, loops, and even inverted. So the plane flies great and the sound and smell of nitro is amazing. I think im hooked on nitro. To bad the fuel is so expensive.

I couldn't get any photos of the plane inn the air but I have some photos of it finished with motor.
IMG_20150601_103034.jpg IMG_20150601_103042.jpg IMG_20150601_103102.jpg IMG_20150601_103113.jpg

-sam :cool:

Last edited:

Team_Monkey

Super cool!
Yeah, the price of fuel can get high but it si nice to just be able to re-fuel and get right back in the air. If you're lucky you can catch someone selling Ritch's Brew a a local event and pay cash. :) Have fun! I'll be flying nitro and burning up a couple gallons this weekend at an event.

Converted gas (real gas, not nitro) engines work on mid size planes so you get the 2 stroke smell with a little less sound, longer run times and all at $2.85 a gallon. LOL

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Great story/thread - 45 days from dreaming the dream to living the dream!
Very little drama, too. Congratulations.

sierra_bravo

A new project

Well it's been almost a month since I maiden the plane and I flew it alot more and got the engine tuned and broken in and I still love it. I have barely used my fuel and on a full tank I get 15 minute flights. Also in recent local hobby news the hobby shop that I would buy fuel and a whole lot of other plane related stuff closed down:(. I will admit I did cry slightly when I found out since it was a nice shop but they couldn't pay their rent and next thing you know there is a sign from the sheriff saying that the store was closed. At least there is a another hobby shop near me but it doesn't sell fuel or any plane stuff just heli/multi-rotor/FPV stuff. I guess I have to drive 50 minutes go buy some fuel or I can nag a guy at my field to pick me up a gallon when he goes buy some. So now on to the real point of writing this post. I was looking in my shed for some metal rods for a landing gear when I see a gas homelite 26cc leaf blower;). So I take the leaf blower out of the shed and for some reason I dont test it but immediately get to work striping out the motor and getting it slightly cleaned up. Now If I was some sort of gas engine expert(also knows as a mechanic) I would not be asking for help with the engine. But since I'm 13 and have very little experience working on gas engines I need some help. My goal with this engine it to get it back up and running in a good condition to put it in a 1/5 scale (roversgonemad your going to like this) SPAD Piper J-3 cub similar to this one except with a few modifications like a two part wing and a slightly smaller 85 inch wing span. I started a new thread asking for help and tips about this engine. Here's the thread where I am going to post all of my questions.

Thank you everyone who helped me I appreciate it so much.

Thanks again
-sam:cool:

Last edited:

Balsa to Foam

A Jack of All Planes!!!
Fuel is even harder to get here, near chillicothe, mo, i live in th bermuda triangle of hobby shops, nothing, NOTHING within an 80 mile radius of me:mad:

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
I have to admit I am spoiled. I have a hobby shop 1/4 mile from my house.
Yesterday, I was getting a new-to-me OS FS .26 four stroke together and noticed a loose needle valve assembly. turns out there was a screw missing. So, off to the hobby shop with my engine. They are a Horizon Hobby affiliate, so most of their sales are in UMX planes, etc.Lots of cars, too. But they had an old dusty rack of OS parts and I found some muffler mounting screws, 4/40's, that I was able to cut down to size. Had the engine running about 45 minutes later.
I try to drop at least a $20 each time I go in there. They have all the little GP packages of screws, fuel parts, wheels, etc. and their prices are not too bad.
You never know how long they will be there, though.

Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S20_QOxKKcU

Last edited: