Glue, Tape and What not

alan r

Old time rc'r but new to this stuff. Been reading like crazy. A few simple questions. I live in NC and humidity and temp is a concern. Want to build light and yet not have peeling of paper. Don't need colored tape so figure on removing paper and covering with clear packing tape for durability. Will tape on just one side create a problem on flat surfaces ?Haven't seen any mention of this. Any reason to remove paper on inner surfaces ? Any pros or cons to building with foam safe superglue so that outside temperature is not a problem ? Strapping tape tip to tip is something I used to use on the underside of my 2 meter gliders and it gives a lot of strength. Was looking for a soft tape measure in my wifes' sewing basket and realized that the thread spools would make great wheel hubs. Will play with this soon. Grainger has many different heavier un split pipe insulations in black that I will try. Sure wish the industry would come up with a standardized motor identification system. Last but not least I love this site. Thanks to the TF Crew.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Minwax your FT models. That will prevent moisture from affecting the paper, and add a surprising amount of rigidity to the foamboard.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm pretty much in the same environment, just a bit farther down the costal plains.

Stripping the paper off the model and recovering it with tape works fine for some models -- some of the fusealges I expect would get tricky where parts join, but overall it can work fine. I typically do that on versa wings, but I'm not sure I'd do that on much else. The inside paper is fine -- it shouldn't give you any trouble and does add strength.

As Stratowhovious mentions Minwaxing helps tremendously with delamination -- I use a staining sponge to apply it, dab it using one end of the sponge, wipe the excess with the other. If you go that route, also consider adding paper bandage tape over the foam-exposed seams before you minwax. cheap stuff and you'll never have an issue with delaminating edges.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ha! I thought you were the one who got me hooked on this stuff!

alan r

Thanks for that input. Have a bunch of that tape in the medicine chest. Built a 30 x 40 Delta today based on eyeballing the You Tube videos of the BIG SLOW DELTA. Just need to run to the hobby shop for motor and ESC connectors. This is just a quick proof of concept and the second one will get full humidity protection. Also just about done with my Dehaviland Beaver; 60 in ws. CD: I get down to many places in GA with my Vintage Shasta camper. PM me and maybe we can meet up for an afternoon sometime.