What kind of tape is this?

scaler123

Hello All,
Hobby Zone Carbon Cub S2, crashed it, and am now putting it back together. The aileron servos are in a recess, and held in by a sort of stiffish tape that is very sticky. Any opinions on what type of tape this is? Does it matter? If it were you, what would you use? It has to stick extremely well, so as to be able to resist the turning forces generated by the pushrod moving the aileron. I've attached a picture. It seems to be some sort of paper-like tape, but I can't be sure. I thought it might have been metallic, but that's probably because of the grey/silver color it's painted with.
Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Hello All,
Hobby Zone Carbon Cub S2, crashed it, and am now putting it back together. The aileron servos are in a recess, and held in by a sort of stiffish tape that is very sticky. Any opinions on what type of tape this is? Does it matter? If it were you, what would you use? It has to stick extremely well, so as to be able to resist the turning forces generated by the pushrod moving the aileron. I've attached a picture. It seems to be some sort of paper-like tape, but I can't be sure. I thought it might have been metallic, but that's probably because of the grey/silver color it's painted with.
Thanks,
Bruce
It appears to be a thin metal with adhesive. Personally, I would not be concerned with using the same type of tape, and would use hot glue (fast cure), or a silicon sealer (slow cure) to mount the servo. Then, cover the servo with white tape, or recover it with the original tape, and a small amount of hot glue to hold it in place. Note that silicon sealer may make it more difficult to remove the servo in the future, and hot glue can be removed with alcohol.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
That looks like aluminum HVAC tape. In the states it can be found in nearly any hardware store in the heating and cooling sections. I have a couple planes that have that on them in areas that need a tad bit of protection. The stuff is a strip of aluminum with a paper backing you peel off to use. Some of them I've had over the years have had glue as you describe, others have been thinner types.

scaler123

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate the help. What I've done is gotten some Gorilla Heavy Duty Packaging Tape, cleaned the surface with 91% alcohol first, and then stuck a strip over the servo and foam. It seems to be holding really well so far. The test will be the first time I take it out to fly. Paint probably won't adhere to the tape very well, if at all, but at this point, function over form :)

Rhaps

Elite member
I certainly would not trust just the tape to keep the servo in place - I suspect that the tape is in place just for looks. If the servo is loose without the tape then definitely do what @skymaster suggested. just a couple of drops of hot glue top of the servo wings should be enough.