Gonna take the plunge into 250 quads...

mrstamp80

Ok, after my wife took all the tax money (anyone who is married understands what i mean by this) for all the various projects around the house, I managed to get a few left over bucks. I decided to build a 250 quad on a budget. Just a background I currently have a nano qx, fpv nano qx, and a scratch built T copter. (thanks so much with the help on that) and fpv gear. So flying a 250 shouldn't be a issue.

I already ordered the motors and esc's .
2 Emax 2204 MT2300kv cw
2 Emax 2204 MT2300kv ccw
4 Emax Simon series 12a esc

I already have a Naze32 fcb board.
Fat shark 250mw tx, fatshark 600tvl camera, and a GoPro 3 white.

So i need a frame. There are so many out there and my frame budget is $50. Keep in mind i am just going to use and abuse it. I will not be in any type of formal racing with others. Just my own personal fun and as long as it flies good I will be *****.
Here is what i have been looking at:
http://www.buddyrc.com/spedix-s250-multirotor-frame.html I can't find much more info about it seems to be new.

http://www.buddyrc.com/zmr-250-full-carbon-fiber-quadcopter-frame.html Seems to be a popular choice, that i have read.

http://www.buddyrc.com/zmr-250-composite-carbon-fiber-quadcopter-frame.html I know it's not FULL carbon, but didn't know if that really matters.
I am not dead set on these frames, I am open to other options.

Lastly props 5x3 or 5x3x3 or just go 6x3? As far as batt's go I have a couple 1300 3s 35c laying around. I know i need to get a higher c rating. I will get those later.

Thanks for everyone's help.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I wouldn't get the "composite carbon" frame. I have read about problems with the glass delaminating from the carbon.

If you are going to get a budget frame, the ZMR250 is the clear choice. If you were going to spend $150, then you could debate between several, but IMO in the budget range, nothing beats the ZMR, and there are lots of accessories for it due to its popularity.

Quad

So the one I linked to is full carbon and a ZMR 250. The buddyrc ZMR 250 full carbon also looks like a good choice...

joshuabardwell

Mentor
For what it's worth, that is not an actual QAV250 frame, but a ZMR250. There's nothing wrong with a ZMR, and a lot of people love them. But if you expect a QAV, I doubt you are going to get it from a wholesale China seller. QAV frames cost $150 retail all by themselves.

Regarding props, three-blade props seem to have gone out of style. Most people seem to be flying 6030, or if the motors can take it, 6045.

finnen

3-bladed props are mostly used on frames that can't fit 6 inch props. The zmr can handle 6 inch props just fine. I don't know if 5 inch or 6 inch props are better, I guess it depends on motor, esc and battery setup.

kah00na

I like that kit that hello_mars suggested (http://www.banggood.com/QAV250-Carbon-Fiber-ARF-Combo-EMAX-MT2204-12A-ESC-CC3D-p-965217.html?p=6Z050013977120130325). That is the EMAX frame which gives that extra platform below the cage that is large enough to hold the 4 ESCs. That helps keep the weight more central to the frame and makes the arms look cleaner by not having the ESCs zip-tied to them. It should also have enough room on the rear platform to comfortably hold a 1300mAh battery. Then it doesn't have to be on top or hanging on below.

Banggood also has one that looks similar to a Voodooquads frame - XAV250:
SKU185820-1.jpg

jipp

that looks like a bad design with the arms built into the bottom plate.. that is gonna break.. and you have to replace the hole plate.. what a pain and could get expensive?

chris.

kah00na

Well the Voodooquads frame that it was designed after is a tank. I watched one slam into the ground and thought for sure it was going to be broken, but it wasn't. That XAV250 is a copy so I'm sure it wouldn't be as strong. I like idea of replaceable arms on the EMAX one a little better myself. I thought I'd show another option though.

finnen

The copies are generally not 100% carbon, even if they say they are. I wouldn't trust a cheap frame without replaceable arms. Things like the QAV250, that is one piece for the bottom frame and the arms, on the other hand are really sturdy. But they cost a pretty penny as well =)