GoPro Attachement Tips Please :D

Ambianti

Hi Guys,
i got my brand-new GoPro on Christmas!
Now i want to put it on my rc planes, but i don't know how to attache it, do you have any tips :D?
(no glue pls^^)
thanks!

RoyBro

Mentor
I guess the answer really depends on to what you want to attach it, and where. The best mounts are going to provide some vibration insulation as well as protection for your new Christmas present. But it shouldn't be so heavy as to throw your CG off. Also, do you want to do some remote pan/tilt?

RoyBro

Mentor
To be clear, this is the plane?

Firebird Stratos.jpg

OK, now where do you want to mount it? On the nose in front of the motors? On the top over the CG?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Will that plane carry the weight of a gopro?
It's best to mount over the CG if you cannot move the battery to adjust the CG forward or backward, so over the wing is probably the best option here. You might want to think about getting a keychain type camera for this plane since it's lighter and more streamlined and easier to mount than a gopro.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Rubber bands or velcro are how most people mount the cams so they are removable, just so you know.

Ambianti

@RoyBro:
Yes it is. I´d like to mount it on top at the CG or at the bottom where the wheels are... :)

xuzme: thanks for your reply i ll try out!

Ambianti

@RoyBro:
Yes it is. I´d like to mount it on top at the CG or at the bottom where the wheels are...

xuzme: thanks for your reply i ll try out!

lonewolf7717

if you opt for rubber bands i would suggest using the 3m Command Clear mini hooks. it will require of you to superglue them to the plane (CA) but are barely noticeable when not in use. i would suggest you sand the bottom of each hook lightly first to provide better adhesion. I have used them to hold Bixler wings together in the past with great success.
CmdMiniHooks600387_x.jpg IMAG0314.jpg

theWolfPack

@Ambianti:

My first RC plane was a Firebird Stratos and I too wanted to mount my gopro to it. I simply put it in the standard waterproof case and duct taped it upside down directly under the battery hatch which actually turned out to be spot on for the CG. HOWEVER.. that was incredibly stupid of me and I would never put my gopro on such an underpowered plane. below is the video to prove I actually did it but that was the only time I tried and have since moved on to the apprentice which I mount my gopro to with duct tape and "the frame" mount by gopro. The apprentice is an incredibly easy plane to fly and can carry all my FPV gear well.
hope this helps!

-theWolfPack

ChristianAndRC

I would say use the GoPro Frame if you can and use the clear lens cap. I have never put my GoPro on A plane, only 350qx. I would use velcro and A zip tie

Stefth

Here are some great GoPro tips for beginners: valoso.com/blog/useful-gopro-tips-for-beginners/ Hope it helps