GoPro Hero4 wifi?

flyboy10

So, I've been trying to find any information on flying FPV with the GoPro Hero4 and can't seem to find anything. I know the Hero3 had some issues with interference when flying with the wifi on, but I can't seem to find any really recent information or complaints around that and I can't find ANYTHING or anyone who says they had the same problem with the Hero4. I know there's a delay with the wifi signal and it's not the best for FPV, but if it works, it's better than nothing...which is current state.

My question is: has anybody experienced any type of fly-away or interference when flying a quad or plane with a GoPro Hero4 streaming video through its built-in wifi? If so, what was your setup and relevant information (i.e. How far away were you, what receiver were you using, what transmitter, what FCB, etc)?

I just put my GoPro on a 450 size quad running a Spektrum TX with an Orange RX and KK2.1 board. Mounted it with the case so if it does have a problem, I still have a pretty good shot at getting the camera back in one piece. I'll let you know what my experience is and include some video...giddy up.

Thanks for the help.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I am pretty sure you will have issues.
Flight radio = 2.4gHz
FPV camera = 2.4gHz
The newer WiFi chipsets use all sorts of diversity and different bands like 5gHz, but I haven't heard of any that Don't still use 2.4gHz.
I wouldn't intentionally drop my new GoPro, but that is surely what is going to happen to you.
Your flight radio *may* be able to overpower the WiFi at close range, but at some distance the camera WiFi will certainly overpower your flight signal.
Did you purchase a replacement plan for the camera?

Best regards,
PCH

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
There is a story in one of the FTAfterhours podcasts where someone almost had a flyaway due to the suspected GoPro wifi. Whether or not that is true is unknown. GoPro wifi has limited range and latency so you'll be unable to fly fast or far, but I think its worth a try to see what will happen, maybe just starting with a ground test and no props. Just make sure you have a failsafe that will kill your motors if anything happens.

flyboy10

Question answered.

It works.

Until it doesn't. Then it fails spectacularly and your quad falls out of the sky into a pine tree. This test was verified.

I was able to fly around close to "home" without issue. The GoPro app has significantly reduced latency issues and actually kept up pretty well. Approximately 50-60m away from "home" and 50' in altitude all signal was lost and the quad fell out of the sky. After recovering it without issue from the pine tree and verifying signal, battery, and control...I tried again. The second flight resulted in pretty much the same thing minus the pine tree.

Fortunately, no damage to the quad besides a bent prop. The GoPro broke the clip that slides into the sticky mount but was otherwise completely unharmed. I'm convinced you can do pretty much anything to a GoPro as long as you have the hard case on it.

End result: don't fly with your GoPro wifi on.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
The HDMI output is a full high def signal.
These basic transmitters only send Standard Def.
They have no way of connecting to or transmitting that signal.
There is a composite video out (SD) on the GoPro that an be used, but it has some lag issues.

Best regards,
PCH

liamstrain

The HDMI output is a full high def signal.
These basic transmitters only send Standard Def.
They have no way of connecting to or transmitting that signal.
There is a composite video out (SD) on the GoPro that an be used, but it has some lag issues.

Ah - good to know, thank you. I assumed they transmitted whatever the source input was.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
HD video for FPV is here, but so far I have only heard about
DJI Lightbridge
Connex
Both are *very* expensive and then you need to view it somehow.

Best regards,
PCH