Got my Taranis QX7 in, so quite happy, but messed up already?

Narjuna

Hello,

I am trying to find some help, as I was not sure where to post. Arrived at Flite Test through the vlogs (good job and one of the vlogs available online which stimulated me to get into this new hobby, thank you guys!)

My first purchase into this new hobby was the Taranis QX7. I plan to first use it with a simulator, gradually I will purchase more items in order to build my own racing drone. Got the QX7 in yesterday, downloaded Open tX Companion 2.2.0 RC18 Ubuntu PPA, and was able to install the program Open TX on the computer. Also got the Amber Soundfile, and went ahead to change the original Sound file with Amber. Followed some other instructions which allowed me to calibrate. Realized I also had to update the firmware with the new version, so went into the Open TX program.

USB connected to X7, opened Open TX, went to Settings, where I forgot to change the Radio Type to FrSkyTaranis X7. I wrote the new firmware to the radio, and then all went blank.

Current situation: when I power on X7, I am welcomed to Open TX by the voice of Amber. No led light, no backlight on the screen, it remains dark, and after 1 or 2 sec I hear a soft click, it probably turned off itself again. I have no menu at all.
When I push the 2 buttons and power on, I have no sound, but I have a backlight (for 1 sec), nothing else comes on the screen.

My guess is I made that mistake in flashing the Companion 2.2.0 RC18 (which was for QX7) without changing the correct radio in the settings.

I am not sure how to proceed now, as the X7 seems to be 'dead'.
Can anyone give me suggestions what I should do, I already put the 'noob' sticker on my head, but I will not give up my original plans to proceed in this hobby.
Thanks for all help, hope to hear,
Best regards,
Narjuna

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You can't brick the Radio so that is one thing to ease your pain.

Do the pinch and power thing and connect back to your computer using the companion. It does not matter what the radio is doing on the screen. You should be able to reflash it all properly. You will however have to reload all the files on the SD Card..

This video is for the X9D but the method is the same.

Narjuna

It was a good feeling to wake up this morning and see a message of hope ;). Thanks for that PsyBorg. I will check, try things out, and report when it's fixed!

Bricks

Master member
I do hope you get this straightened out, but this is one reason I went with Spektrum much easier interface. In other words I cannot really screw it up.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hope you get things sorted out. Quick question. Why use an older release candidate when you can use the official release and newer version? Any RC## versions are not stable releases. If you wanted to be bleeding edge you need to look ast the 2.2.1 RC versions.

In my experience any somewhat complex computer system can be prone to these issues. Even spectrum. Last summer I helped a friend/ neighbor with a newly purchased dx6 that got into a test mode and couldn't get out, unless you connected it via buddy box to a tx with more than 6 channels. When we tried fixing it with my 6 channel dx6i, we obviously failed, until I used my taranis! AndyK from horizon was trying to help us with this and even he found that funny. They have since patched that software to not have this dependency.

Just noticed 2.2.1 is now stable. I downloaded and installed the newest companion, firmware, and sdcard contents, but haven't upgraded my Taranis X9D+ yet. Maybe sometime this week, time permitting.

Last edited:

Narjuna

what I did yesterday

Today I will not cast those admiring looks at my beautiful QX7. I put it back in it's box. It cannot really help it of course ... , anyhow, yesterday was a cold day and I spend hours reading, checking and trying out new things ... . The Taranis does not really open up to me, yet.

Started in the early morning checking the advice PsyBorg gave me. 'you can't brick the radio ..' brought me in an indulging mood, exactly what was necessary for spending time learning how to get closer to a solution. The video helped too, only thing I missed was what I could do when pushing the power on/off button didn't give me a screen at all. Amber welcomed me to OpenTX, but Taranis didn't even blink (no leds lighting, no screen, ..), and a soft click after a few seconds was all I got.
I removed the batteries, opened Taranis to remove the cell battery (my hope was to delete all cache memory (that was my guess), put it back and start over with Open TX 2.2 to write the firmware to the Taranis. Later I tried the same with the FrSky firmware (from their website) and SD-card content. All to no avail. Amber or the more robotic voice always welcome me (they too must have some hope :) for me), but the power button doesn't even blink, and I never get a screen. What I can do however, is to enter the bootloader menu(?) but after getting in that menu, I can only attach the USB cable to the computer, and yes, it looks as if the software from OpenTX is able to connect (I make this remark as I can hear the different sounds from Amber and the robotic voice after I write to the radio, I did this with USB and with SD-card, so somehow things go through... . I saw no hope in using Ubuntu, so then (early afternoon it was I guess) I used Windows 7, installed OpenTX there (windows version) and rest of the set up (creating maps with firmware and with sd card content), and tried all I did in the morning. Same disappointing result.

I thought I found a new path by checking if the bootloader was really installed. I did not see STM32, think I got a message from OpenTX regarding this, but I decided to get acquainted with ZADIG, installed it, and I have now an STM32 bootloader available. Not sure however if this bootloader is doing it's job correctly now. Tried again to write to the radio, and still no result (hope you all agree that this noob did not give up easily :), no plans in that direction either).

It was close to 21.00 o'clock when I looked for the ...-time on my computerscreen at the OpenTX message after writing to radio again, It said that "New firmware is not compatible with the one currently installed!"

That's where I left it, that's why I leave it in the box today, I will go out for a walk this afternoon, hope it brings new idea's and new determination :)
Also thanks at @ Makattack, I still need to read your post a little better. I will (for the time being) continue in Windows version, I guess that is a little easier for me to find information on how to get the ... thing blinking at me again.
I'll update later, thanks already for all help :)
Greetings,
Narjuna

Narjuna

@ Bricks
Thanks for your best wishes too! For the time being I will continue to plunge into this OpenTX and Taranis swimming pool, hope one day to be able to say that I mastered it.
For now, sun is shining where I live, I have 2 trees to handle, hope some sweat will give me new inspiration to have another go at this new hobby

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You are not by chance trying to flash an EU model Tarnis with US firmware are you? There are two separate power ratings and you may not be able to load the US firmware on an EU radio so you don't burn out the transmitter portion of the radio.

As far as getting any responses from the radio when you do the pinch and power thing you should not be hearing any sounds at all and under normal conditions get a splash screen with only three options if done properly.

If you pinch the rudder and aileron trims in towards the center of the radio and power the radio on with them held in place you should be able to use the scroll wheel gently rolling to the left to make the selection bar drop once then hit enter. This line will reload the EEprom back to default. It may take several attempts doing this by feel with out seeing the menu but you may be able to revive it this way. Do this without the radio plugged into the usb.

Narjuna

tx, PsyBorg,

Pinching the rudder and aileron trims and powering on (without USB connected to the PC) is functioning ok. In that menu I have the screen and I can see the three options. I tried reloading the EEPROM as you mentioned. When I push the 'restore EEPROM' button, it shows a black line without information on the screen, Nothing seems to happen even after waiting for a longer time. When I then push the exit button (one of the buttons left of the screen), the screen mentions 'Not a valid EEPROM'.

Powering up the Taranis gives me no screen and the leds in the power button are absent, but the 'voice' welcomes me ok, then after 2 sec. a little beep and silence.

I need to check what you mentioned about the US Firmware too ... are you sure there is a difference? In the Open TX 2.2 screen I know I have to select EU in one of the screens (but I still have to learn what this really affects ...). As I live in Western EU, I think I (should) have received a EU-version QX7, and I didn't realize there might be a difference in Firmware US / EU.

My next approach will be to check the info in: https://github.com/opentx/opentx/wiki/Taranis-Bootloaders

thanks for the input so far,
regards, Narjuna

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wait... You can pinch and power the radio and get the screen to show the three options write firmware restore eeprom and exit but you cant flash any firmware at all at that point?

If you get that screen you should be able to connect a usb after starting Companion and from there download the latest / proper firmware and write that to the radio following the steps in this video series mate. Watch them once or twice to familiarize yourself with the process and the steps and menus and such. Then go thru the whole process step by step pausing the video each step to do what is required so you do not miss anything. (This is how I did it at first) This should get you thru a complete radio update / setup and back in good order.

I even learned something when reviewing these and need to go back and update the boot loader. I have 2.2 on my radio but the boot loader is still at 2.19... EEK!!

Make sure you go thru all three videos as the link only shows the first of three here.

This is the link to the play list style if easier for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qboy9crfy58&list=PLwoDb7WF6c8kLrGADjuxJUm5M2szXd_j8

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you get the invalid EEPROM message, You can click through it and it will convert it to the new release. That is more of a FYI popup rather than an error. That fooled me last week. I'm new to X9D+ myself and coming from Spek. I made the mistake of flashing the EU firmware on one of my R-XRS recievers, at which point, it would no longer bind to the US firmware on my Taranis. Fixed it by flashing back to the correct RX firmware.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah The Taranis stuff is really hard to if not impossible to brick. Its just a matter of figuring out where in your process you went wrong so you don't do it again.Then start at the very beginning and follow every step in order. I really did NOT want to jump on the band wagon but now I am so glad I did as this has made my flying and enjoyment much better since the change over. Adding the M9 gimbals took that all over the top.

Hopefully somewhere in this process we can get Narjuna back on track so his experiences will progress and start to become more enjoyable as well.