Great use for old damaged props

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Have a collection of old props that probably should not be flown any more? Grab a chopstick or other dowel and build a HandCopter. It's Cheap fun for all ages, takes a second to build, and provides hours of entertainment. (You should wear eye protection :cool: )
HandCopter.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Damaged prop blades also make excellent epoxy mixer/spreaders - I keep a jar of them above the workbench that somehow always stays plenty full :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is a good idea LB. We just got some little little kids move into our complex. Id bet they would have fun with these. Good use for them 6 inch bull nose props I never used more then 20 seconds. Or even those crappy raycorp tri blades that spin flat when actually mounted to a motor hehe.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Great idea RockBoy! I bet they would work good for spreading hotglue when building foamies too! Keep the ideas coming!

PB, Yeah, the kids love them. Thinking about keeping some on hand in the flybox for when people bring their kids out to the field.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You could always stick one in the back strap of your baseball cap and have that little rascals style twirling beanie thing working. :p

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You could always stick one in the back strap of your baseball cap and have that little rascals style twirling beanie thing working. :p

If I make it to Flite Fest this year.... I'll have one (or more) mounted to the top of my hat! Another great idea!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
:applause: You keep this up n I'm gonna start charging for these fantastical fanatical incredible ideas.

DKchris

I think I'll have to take look in my indoor gear drawer, i know I have a bunch of props with lightly split ends and such, and I sure have plenty bamboo skewers stored. Bit of hot glue and my 7-year old ought to be amused for quite some time. Neat idea.

My 0.02 €:
I've got a nice big 15x4 APC prop from my glowengined 3D plane, that lost a blade in a less than fortunate emergency landing and just ended up in the start box at first. I turned it into a ground anchor for field ground testing (and safety anchor for fiddling with electric models under power) on the spot. I used a looped up yard and a half piece of heavy gauge nylon filament line from the field bin, but any suitable strength line will do. Hitch the line through the prop bore and over the remaining blade, peg it thoroughly into the ground and put the line loop over the model tail. The sharp APC blade cuts the turf like a knife blade, and its easy to get back out as well, just put a foot over it as a stop and pull the line. None of my planes have been able to even move it a little in the ground to date, and it'll stay in my start box.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Burnt a motor up on the HellBender V1 yesterday. Today that motor is starting it's next adventure into becoming a fidget spinner. In the past I have pulled the bearings and popped them into 3D printed things.... HappySpinner.jpg

Think this one will go into something much bigger....
FidgetMotor.jpg

Removed shorted out coils that were hindering rotation....

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Will have to come up with a Rotor Riot/ Flite Test spinner design, send it to Kapper so he can harass Mr. Steel with it... LOL

Herought

Have a collection of old props that probably should not be flown any more? Grab a chopstick or other dowel and build a HandCopter. It's Cheap fun for all ages, takes a second to build, and provides hours of entertainment. (You should wear eye protection :cool: )
View attachment 84152

Cheers!
LitterBug

I made one of this and my daugher loved it :).. I want to make a robot figure out of broken RC parts too.