Greeting Northeast!

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
I'm in the Hudson Valley, don't belong to a club (yet) but do belong to AMA. I have a 300" x 300" park near where I live where I always maiden and often simultaneously end-of-life my airplanes. My latest planes need a bigger area so I am hunting down a low-traffic field - maybe around schools since summer is out. My FT Slinger eats up space fast so maybe it is time to consider a club. I met up with Flynn last weekend and he is a roving display of FT planes, totally rigged. Any other FT'ers like Flynn and I in the northern NJ, Hudson Valley, Northeast PA, western CT area, let us know when you are flying...
I am considering going to NEAT for at least one day in Sept but am a little off about the event after Josh B.'s and David's scathing review of the officials. Can be talked into attending.

Best,
Peter

N1KHB

I haven't sent a pin set request yet, but I'm in Guilford, Conn. along the coast. No flying field located and I'm slightly phobic about model airplane clubs, AMA requirements, etc., so I just want casual flights (probably pure glider). Flying with friends is fine. Slope soaring preferred, but flat field ok too. Willing to travel occasionally.

Best,
Sonny

degriz

I also live in the Hudson Valley, I usually fly at a park in Montogmery NY on Sunday Morning when I take the dog for a run.

20 years of so ago I belonged to a club in Goshen, now hooked on cheap electric foam and fly by myself.

Flynn

I also live in the Hudson Valley, I usually fly at a park in Montogmery NY on Sunday Morning when I take the dog for a run.

20 years of so ago I belonged to a club in Goshen, now hooked on cheap electric foam and fly by myself.

Black dirt squadron?

degriz

Black dirt squadron?

I believe The black dirt squadron broke away from the original club which was the Goshen Gremlins.
George McGinnis was a Goshen shop teacher who was one of the original members. He ta
Taught Me and lot of others to fly rc. We flew off the Gurda and Gantz sod farms in the black dirt region.

Last edited:

Flynn

I believe The black dirt squadron broke away from the original club which was the Goshen Gremlins.
George McGinnis was a Goshen shop teacher who was one of the original members. He ta
Taught Me and lot of others to fly rc. We flew off the Gurda and Gantz sod farms in the black dirt region.

Nice. I joined Black Dirt last year, then found some friends on flitetest forums. We've been flying in Morris County NJ all last Summer (2014)

degriz

Some of the members who split were extremely good scale builders. I don't remember his last name but Jerry built a beautiful model that was in one of the rc publications.

At the time all flew nitro, electric was in it's infancy.

A gentleman by the name of John Lewis, who tragically passed with his son in a boating accident, was one of the most talented builders I ever saw. I still have some pictures of his builds, which look like real aircraft, detail was amazing.

Flynn

Some of the members who split were extremely good scale builders. I don't remember his last name but Jerry built a beautiful model that was in one of the rc publications.

At the time all flew nitro, electric was in it's infancy.

A gentleman by the name of John Lewis, who tragically passed with his son in a boating accident, was one of the most talented builders I ever saw. I still have some pictures of his builds, which look like real aircraft, detail was amazing.

I know Jerry. I dont think I'll be continuing my membership there for the sole reason I've found great friends and a great field. Even if we had to find another place, its been awesome to fly this summer with great people. The Club is definitely full of fantastic people, i'm just not at the stage to use the field correctly. Plus, I enjoy flying with my friends at the same time, not one at a time as in the club atmosphere. I'm not club bashing, I totally understand why. Right now, we are having a great time. I think if I ever move on to gas or nitro, I'll be back at Black Dirt, the members and field are amazing.