Greetings from Wales (and a few questions)

robobob

Hello from Cardiff, Wales. My name is Robert, and I'm coming into this forum as a complete RC newb. However, as someone who wants to study engineering at university, I'm enthralled by the idea of designing and building my own RC planes. I'm also greatly interested by WW2 projects, and I have certain fascinations with particular aircraft designs. One of these planes being the HO 229. I've been fascinated by this thing for quite a while, and now that I've recently started re-watching some of the flite test build videos, I've reckon that I think I can produce my own foamboard plans for a replica Horton 229.

Having also recently discovered EDF power, I plan on scaling the design around two identical EDF units. (wing sizes etc, being scaled from plans for the plane found online.)

For the project, I intend to build the wings first, and they would be built in a similar way to the other flite test foamboard planes. With two halves, that fold together, using a central spacer to create the airfoil. Of course the wing of the Horton 229 is a rather more complex shape, however I have done some rudimentary test pieces for scaled down wings (before my larger A2 sheet of foamboard for true testing arrives,) and it worked beautifully to eminate the shape I require.

My question is focused on the electronics: I'd be directly seeking advice on the hookup of the electronics, and more specifically that I've struggled to find any kind of guide based on hooking up two EDF units. I'd also like to enquire what battery units people could recommend, speed controllers. Anything at all that might be of use for this project.

My apologies for the overly long introductory thread, and if this project does get off the ground (pardon the pun) I'd probably find a place to better put a separate thread for it. On the whole greetings, and I can't wait to get to know others on the forum.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As a Newbie you will need to Progress to flying such a design as your reactions will be non-existent and even if your build is perfect in every aspect it is more than likely that it will end up in a tangled mess of electronics and FB.

Try to build a trainer to start with and possible even purchase a Flight simulator to "Train" your thumbs ot react they way they need to when flying.

As for the Ho229 Yes it is an interesting plane and there is one, (commercial build) flying locally quite successfully. BUT, as a first plane it can be very tricky to get set up correctly. Get some air time and then try a single engined EDF either buy one or perhaps even build a simple version of something like the He162 where everything is readily accessible.

When moving onto the target build, (Ho229), by the EDF units and the Escs etc and do thrust tests as they will be slightly different to each other, recalibrate the ESCs and swap the motors around to get the thrust figures close to identical. Ensure that the battery leads are the same length and hence of equal resistance.

When building the Ho229 it might be wise to use the wing in a prop driven model first to validate the design and the controls, (the same as the germans did to the Me262 initially.

Finally document everything about the build and the maiden for other users to see and admire, (Plans would also be nice).

Will watch to see if the Ho229 progresses in the forums!

Fly high and hard BUT land gently!

slipshift

Welcome to the forum robobob. Good luck on your ambitious project, the HO229. I'm a newb too and can't give much advice but I can guarantee you the HO229 will be FAST and you will have some heart pounding flights.

Jim

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Howdy Robert.

Wings are fun and the Ho 229 looks impressive. They can be flippy though pitchwise. Do you have anything yet for flying?

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

robobob

As a Newbie you will need to Progress to flying such a design as your reactions will be non-existent and even if your build is perfect in every aspect it is more than likely that it will end up in a tangled mess of electronics and FB.

I had realized my lack of flying experience would prove a major setback but I greatly appreciate the concern. However the suggestion of mocking up a simple trainer type plane is a superb one and I thank you for it greatly. I'm sure that I'll have some spare foam and be able to make something simple enough to fly. I'll definitely give that one a go! (might even see if I can borrow the laser cutter at school tomorrow or later this week) I do plan on updating this forum with progress into my rc endeavors (it also seems an absolutely superb place to get advice over anything that might go wrong)

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Post info on how it goes so if a problem arises someone might be able to help

Will be enthusiastically watching!

robobob

low wing trainer in progress

I got access to the school's laser cutter today and managed to cut out my first set of planned parts for a foam, low wing, trainer type plane. It's currently shaping up to a wingspan of about 90cm and I have the two front wings and the main piece of the fuselage ready for final assembly on Monday (I need the school's got glue gun) will post pictures when I have something more airplane-esque and I shall also be requiring some help choosing a motor, prop... etc when I have a final weight for the model.

(Today also taught me a good lesson for future use of the laser cutter: Unless a very well precise and perfectly set up laser cutter is used, it can be difficult to get a nice cut on foamboard, especially thicker stuff like 5mm. The cut can end up burning the foam on the inside of the board, and will also have quite thick cut lines. I had the idea of just using the laser cutter to 'scorch' out my plans and it worked a treat. I just set a very high speed and had the laser cutter draw out my plans onto the foamboard, like a printer, after which I went over it with a razor blade and did the proper cutting then. This is a lesson I have certainly learned from, and anyone in a similar situation, it's a neat little trick.)