Guillow 501 P40 Warhawk build

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Same thing as a servo installed rightside up and flown upside down.

My thinking exactly! Thank you.

I am trying to work out a solution to use one servo for the ailerons using some type of linkage and the only way I can see to mount the servo is upside down next to the center 'keel' of the airplane, just above the wing.

In trying to make CG work out I am cramming all my electronics into the fuselage in front of or at the wing. Dunno if it will work, but I think it will be easier to correct a nose heavy plane than a tail heavy one.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I put two wood clamps on this to eyeball how it will all fit together.
Clamped2.JPG

Next, I rough sanded the wing and now I am working on ailerons.
Aileron_Trim1.JPG Aileron_Trim2.JPG

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I am struggling with the linkages between the control rods from the servo and the rods going to the ailerons.

Any ideas?

Aileron_Servo1.JPG

Aileron_Servo2.JPG

Aileron_Servo3.JPG

Aileron_Servo4.JPG

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have noticed the servos are simply press-fit together and held in place with the stickers on the side.

I had peeled the stickers off so I could glue the servos in place.

There are now drops of CA on the sides of each servo to hold the bases in place.

Now waiting for glue to dry.

Next up will be testing and centering servos. :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have glued in the second (center) servo and am questioning placement of the third (rear).

Fuselage_Servos1.JPG

I need more wire. It is in the mail. I also need a lipo and have two in the mail.

Meanwhile I worked on the motor. The front plastic cowling is part of the distinctive features of the P-40. I plan to use it. However, that places my itty bitty motor 20mm from the front of the plane. I made a solid balsa mount and am going to try placing the motor right in the cowling.

MotorMount1.JPG MotorMount2.JPG MotorMount3.JPG MotorMount4.JPG

I think I will need to use some sort of fastener (magnets maybe) to fasten the cowling as I suspect I will need access to the motor.

Things are getting pretty tight inside this little frame.

Mac82

Foam scraps? I got plenty
I've always wanted to do a guillos conversion. I can't wait to see the flight video

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Soldering the power train.

All that time over in multi-rotors has to be good for something.

I think the lipos I ordered have JST connectors. Since I am not sold on them yet, I haven't soldered on a power connector. I am also using 2mm bullet connectors between the ESC and the motor. Heavy, yeah, but gonna be a real chore to work on it without them.

This ESC came from my original WarpQuad build. The motor and receiver from my Polakium Hex.

ESC_Motor_Receiver1.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Just a bump in hopes that this plane made it into the air and we can all see the pictures!

Also, I've got a similar kit and am curious how the power train and weight worked out :)

Thanks!