Guillows Stearman RC Conversion

OliverW

Legendary member
As my bird dog is being finished, I pulled this from the pile of kits to start building. The wingspan is 28 inches making this 1/16 scale. The plan is to run it off of a hobby king park 270.

OliverW

Legendary member
Got the keels framed up and glued. Time to install formers!

Attachments

• 20181202_172021.jpg
    20181202_172021.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member
Cool!! I love the stearman!!!
One of my favorite planes! I am about to order electronics and covering. I have changed electronics to an EMAX 1804,sky power 12a esc with bec, power up 5g analog servos, emp 6x3 prop, and cub yellow and deep blue parklite covering. Electronics from headsuprc.

OliverW

Legendary member
One of my favorite planes! I am about to order electronics and covering. I have changed electronics to an EMAX 1804,sky power 12a esc with bec, power up 5g analog servos, emp 6x3 prop, and cub yellow and deep blue parklite covering. Electronics from headsuprc.
I need to find a different motor and ESC based on weight. I am looking at 400-550 grams in weight. The 1806 can only produce 240 grams of thrust making this be very underpowered and probably stay in ground effect.

OliverW

Legendary member
I need to find a different motor and ESC based on weight. I am looking at 400-550 grams in weight. The 1806 can only produce 240 grams of thrust making this be very underpowered and probably stay in ground effect.
I will be using a blue wonder motor. What size prop should I use for 2 cell batteries?

OliverW

Legendary member
Ok, the instructions are absolutely terrible! They just say stuff like build elevator with no details. The wing plans shows the spars sitting on wooden blocks, but then the ribs only get a chunklet of the spar actually attached to it. Help PLEASE!

OliverW

Legendary member
Also, I will definitely use an 1804. The one I used in my mini scout gave amazing results on 2cells!!! I am going to work on the tail tonight.

OliverW

Legendary member
Tail pics. Have school tomorrow so I had to stop.

Attachments

• 20190121_203034.jpg
    20190121_203034.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 0

TooJung2Die

Master member
Can't read the plans in your photo; too blurry. I found the Guillow's plans lacking detail too. The SE5a has a different number of bulkheads on the two dimensional drawing when compared to the 3D plan. It looks like the control surface hinge lines are drawn in the Stearman plans so that's something you won't have to engineer. Spars are often assembled sitting on blocks when there's an undercamber airfoil involved.
jon

OliverW

Legendary member
Can't read the plans in your photo; too blurry. I found the Guillow's plans lacking detail too. The SE5a has a different number of bulkheads on the two dimensional drawing when compared to the 3D plan. It looks like the control surface hinge lines are drawn in the Stearman plans so that's something you won't have to engineer. Spars are often assembled sitting on blocks when there's an undercamber airfoil involved.
jon
Ok. The plans are better than their piper cherokee. Thanks for the wing block thing