[HasteRC] N-Armed Quad -Build Log-

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Ever thought of a mini-hex. I have two. They are a blast.

It looks like that copter might be able to be a small 330mm hex. Do a nice build of it, fly it like you stole it and let the vendor link other people to you as an example of how to get 'er done!

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Ever thought of a mini-hex. I have two. They are a blast.

It looks like that copter might be able to be a small 330mm hex. Do a nice build of it, fly it like you stole it and let the vendor link other people to you as an example of how to get 'er done!

If we can come up with a suitable camera mount (or a modded top plate that I'm not going to fork money over for) then this will still be a go... but not as a hex :)

If I like it, I'll stick with my original plan to keep it as light as possible for racing and just run 1300 4s on it. I'll still likely pick up an alien to run a bullnose set up or something else ridiculous with 1800s though :)

narcolepticltd

Ok... official answer is to use a 5mm wide cable tie as the camera mount (the lower you drill the holes for the mounting screws, the more angle you can pull). Steele wanted even more, and also did not use any of the spacers.

here's the example... I have a feeling this is going to be like seeing those awesome cookies shaped like animals on pinterest and my version won't look quite right... :)

cam-mount.JPG

narcolepticltd

just dorking around with this cable tie solution... I can see why Steele had them cut a new top plate. With the same angle I'm running on the vortex, it's staring at carbon fiber. maybe I'll take a closer look later when I'm not annoyed with this frame.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Best get to figuring it out fast:

http://www.impulserc.com/

Soma posted some updates and some photos. Here I am re-posting Soma's new wallpaper.
ImpulseRC_Alien_1920x1080_zpscjmqn5wa.jpg ImpulseRC_Alien_1920x1200_zpskdnhqkar.jpg

I would love to start an Alien Warpquad thread but it might be more appropriate for FGA to start it. ;)

Last edited:

narcolepticltd

Best get to figuring it out fast:

http://www.impulserc.com/

Soma posted some updates and some photos. Here I am re-posting Soma's new wallpaper.
View attachment 51292 View attachment 51293

I would love to start an Alien Warpquad thread but it might be more appropriate for FGA to start it. ;)

Yeah, I was pretty psyched for this n-armed... but all the little things I had to change before even building, and now the camera mount that certainly isn't well thought out. I like this frame but I don't think it's ready for prime time. Looks like it's only a matter of weeks for Soma's frame to start shipping and I'm on the mailing list to catch the pre-order. I'll follow his thread on RCGroups and hopefully he'll post some pricing information (would love to see frame weight with hardware as well, but I'm sure that's soon to come).

narcolepticltd

Yup... one of the locals here is going to buy the N-armed frame from me and is fine/tooled up to cut a notch in the top plate for himself. Cool because at least I get to see how it fares for him.

narcolepticltd

SOLD

Looking forward to see how his build goes as he's a local. This is a great frame, but just felt a little too DYI with what felt like (to me) mandatory customizations. Not ready for prime time yet, but close. He'll be running it without spacers and plans to notch the top plate. I just lost the taste for it at that point considering the price tag. Looking forward to what HasteRC comes out with in the future though!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
My experience with WarpQuad was the exact opposite. The instructions are the most comprehensive I have yet seen and the testing (video of the tests even!) was extreme. Twitch frames were almost custom made to order. Instructions were slim but worked and Twitch was just awesome.

I would be surprised if the Alien is not VERY well thought out, tested, and well supported.

Notice how the booms come together in the center to make a solid core of carbon fiber? It puts more of the weight in the center and makes the copter insanely hard to break down the middle. This design is the result of testing, flying, and walking the walk of shame, not computer models and sales projections.

The Vortex looks pretty complicated, expensive and prone to be eaten by chain link. I dunno but it just looks fragile to me. My WarpQuad is NOT fragile. It is simple and elegant and flies like nothing else I know. It can take a beating. In a WarpQuad test video, Soma holds his copter by a boom and smacks the copter into the ground repeatedly trying to break it. I think the Vortex would be in little bitty pieces.

I have been waiting. The Blackout and other flying bricks just don't do it for me. This machine is right sexy and will make a nice addition to my hangar.

If I get my hands on one, you can be sure I will do a build of it right here. If I can make it fly, any butthead can make it fly. :)

narcolepticltd

My experience with WarpQuad was the exact opposite. The instructions are the most comprehensive I have yet seen and the testing (video of the tests even!) was extreme. Twitch frames were almost custom made to order. Instructions were slim but worked and Twitch was just awesome.

I would be surprised if the Alien is not VERY well thought out, tested, and well supported.

Notice how the booms come together in the center to make a solid core of carbon fiber? It puts more of the weight in the center and makes the copter insanely hard to break down the middle. This design is the result of testing, flying, and walking the walk of shame, not computer models and sales projections.

The Vortex looks pretty complicated, expensive and prone to be eaten by chain link. I dunno but it just looks fragile to me. My WarpQuad is NOT fragile. It is simple and elegant and flies like nothing else I know. It can take a beating. In a WarpQuad test video, Soma holds his copter by a boom and smacks the copter into the ground repeatedly trying to break it. I think the Vortex would be in little bitty pieces.

I have been waiting. The Blackout and other flying bricks just don't do it for me. This machine is right sexy and will make a nice addition to my hangar.

If I get my hands on one, you can be sure I will do a build of it right here. If I can make it fly, any butthead can make it fly. :)

I keep buying all these odd frames because I wanted to resist the blackout. Not that I dislike it, I actually love blackouts... but I'm looking for the -next- thing. I may still not know what I'm doing in this hobby and am a forevernewb... but picking up a vortex and jumping straight to 4s (I've never plugged a 3s battery into it), is kinda my style. Obviously I had a little Line of Sight experience first, but never flown fpv on 3s.

The vortex is a lot tougher than it looks... once you get rid of the foldy arms. replacement parts are also readily available and not too expensive (as far as frame hardware goes anyways).

I seriously think Soma has it nailed with this one. Love all the attention he puts into his designs, the well prepared and detailed build videos, everything.