Help! Looking to build a largish drone for security purposes

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hi guys. So here in SA we have a BIT of a problem with "monkeys" stealing stuff ranging from roofs, and copper pipe, to electrical cables.
It is also extremely unsafe to just simply walk to the source of a strange noise and find out what is making the noise. As guys around here tend to be armed.

Now we have a security company armed response. But we don't want to just call them out because we hear strange noises.

So we're looking at building a drone that'll act as our security scout.

Here are some of the specs that I'm thinking of

Approx 800m control range
800m video range
15-20 Min flight time.
20 Watt siren to chase "monkeys" away.
Capable to fly in reasonable winds.

So basically something similar to a DJi Phantom 3 which a friend of mine has.

But for about a max of $300........
I would buy all the electronics from banggood or AliExpress.

What would be a decent setup for something like this? I do don't really need speed. So a max speed of 20kmh would be more than sufficient.. and I would probably never actually go over 15kmh.

Could you please point me in the right direction here.

I'm looking at a quad rather than a tri, due to ease of assembly and repairs.

@LitterBug

Bo123

Elite member
My brother built an S500 kit. Its sounds about what your looking for. It will definately have enough power for lifting things (Like your siren). If you want, you can wait a couple of hours until I get home and I can send you some specs?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
here are a bunch of builds you could reference
https://rotorbuilds.com/

your going to want a LR style build given your flight time desire. Your going to probably want to look at the 7" LR builds given that you want to carry that noise maker.

Is your goal to fly it LOS or FPV?
  • LOS - not really flyable at that range
  • FPV - Do you have the relevent FPV gear?
Your probably going to want iNav or ardupilot if you want a bunch of auto pilot features for it. I think you can get full position hold with a baro + GPS on inav, which could let you fly it more like a phantom

given the range you want, you might also need a better TX/control link then I believe you have been using (1km is pushing it for stable connection for some control links if you have trees/buildings in the way)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
$300 is not going to get you much more than basic functionality with short flight time...

Especially LARGISH.

Maybe a 3" ducted fan with 2S Li-Ion if you want that kind of fly time

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm not much of a quad guy but im gonna say that you're looking at a bit more than 300 to even get close to what you're looking for.

Lots of SA guys working on farms up here. Ex's sister is engaged to a guy from down there i just found out. Been kind of keeping up with it, pretty unstable by the sound of things. Best of luck to you.

Maybe just need one of these:
20211123_192323.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I'm not much of a quad guy but im gonna say that you're looking at a bit more than 300 to even get close to what you're looking for.

Lots of SA guys working on farms up here. Ex's sister is engaged to a guy from down there i just found out. Been kind of keeping up with it, pretty unstable by the sound of things. Best of luck to you.

Maybe just need one of these:
View attachment 212374
the problem with using dogs to check things out is that people around here like poisoning dogs

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Round this neck of the woods we always have two friends ready to pop out and handle things. Smith & Wessen

Now if you are serious about keeping pest critters away a cheaper option would be to use chicken wire on your roof connected to an electric fence power supply.

Or if thats too expensive or electricity is an issue simple recordings of big cats that eat the monkeys played at the right time along with some gathered fur sheddings and if possible some dirt dug up reasonably fresh after one of the big cats peed will do better then a drone other wise you could end up with this...

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Round this neck of the woods we always have two friends ready to pop out and handle things. Smith & Wessen

Now if you are serious about keeping pest critters away a cheaper option would be to use chicken wire on your roof connected to an electric fence power supply.

Or if thats too expensive or electricity is an issue simple recordings of big cats that eat the monkeys played at the right time along with some gathered fur sheddings and if possible some dirt dug up reasonably fresh after one of the big cats peed will do better then a drone other wise you could end up with this...

and also when i said "monkeys" i put it in quotation marks implying that it's actually a human monkeying around on our private property:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

I think guns are technically illegal in his parts. Nothing some .45 acp hollow points wont handle.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I think guns are technically illegal in his parts. Nothing some .45 acp hollow points wont handle.
Nope we could get a gun.... But we would need a licence... But we're not keen on getting one,as we would rather have an armed response unit come out if need be.
But we do have a paintball gun shooting solids at full power. It's easily strong enough to crack a person's head if hit by it.... It's Lethal

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
The drone isn't so much for actual security, but rather to checkup on the farm without is having to go outside of the electronic fence.
Then we can call security if there is a problem.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Different jobs for different dogs.

Some guard dogs are bred to patrol a property, some are meant to be personal protection. A little harder to poision a dog that never leaves my wife and kids side. Figured someone down there must use them, thats where he came from! 😉 He's a Boerboel. Dogs, like many security options, are a good deterrent but won't be able to stop a determined bad guy. They sacrifice themselves to alert you of danger and/or buy you time.

Guns are a tool, not a magic talisman. Without tactics and training they're on par with a good guard dog, reflectively speaking. A deterrent, but not a guarantee against a determined attacker.

In your case I'd suggest looking into security cameras, particularly ones with motion activated lights and/or PA systems. They've come way down in price recently. Again, just a deterrent, but having all the lights come on and then have someone yelling at you would make even a determined intruder at least reassess his plans.

20211124_070638.png

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
In your case I'd suggest looking into security cameras, particularly ones with motion activated lights and/or PA systems. They've come way down in price recently. Again, just a deterrent, but having all the lights come on and then have someone yelling at you would make even a determined intruder at least reassess his plans.
ya... my dad often installs those. but the main thing is to check our borehole, and other implement that are very far out of the electric fence

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
and also when i said "monkeys" i put it in quotation marks implying that it's actually a human monkeying around on our private property:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No difference in the application of friends aid.... Just sayin. If somethin ain't invited and poses a problem they become shotgun toys. There is always that question though... salt or lead... Either is effective and have their strengths and weaknesses... Trust me rock salt aint no joke. I have a leather biker jacket with holes in it where I got tagged on property I had permission to be on AND worked at to prove it.

When I was young I did yard work and such around the town I grew up in. I also got a chance to work for a friends grandfather who owned a local golf course and driving range. When deer season was in he gave us permission to camp the outer edges of the course where the greens were close to the woods. The deer would come out at night and tear up the greens. One fall evening right around dusk Ole Grampa forgot me and his grandsons were out doin what he asked. We had got a few that evening and the gun shots during his dinner time evidently upset him enough he forgot were were out there and thought people were poaching on his land. He kept a 10 gauge at the driving range loaded with rock salt and came lookin for us. The ole man was of the shoot first ask questions later generation in regards to his property so he took a shot in our general directions once he spotted our silhouette against the wooded background. Lemme tell you.. THAT STINGS somethin fierce.

Rock jacket.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Different jobs for different dogs.

Some guard dogs are bred to patrol a property, some are meant to be personal protection. A little harder to poision a dog that never leaves my wife and kids side. Figured someone down there must use them, thats where he came from! 😉 He's a Boerboel. Dogs, like many security options, are a good deterrent but won't be able to stop a determined bad guy. They sacrifice themselves to alert you of danger and/or buy you time.

Guns are a tool, not a magic talisman. Without tactics and training they're on par with a good guard dog, reflectively speaking. A deterrent, but not a guarantee against a determined attacker.

View attachment 212394

An old friend of the family returned to Israel a decade or so ago to do security patrols in some of the settlements on the west bank. He mainly worked with bred and trained Auvcharka for the security teams in the smaller settlements. Last time I saw him was back in the 90s when he had three litters hit at once and was dealing with 14 puppies at the same time getting them ready to fly over and start their new lives.