Help! Looking to build a largish drone for security purposes

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
ok so after a bit of scratching and digging it appears as if an
OPENPILOT CC3D FLIGHT CONTROLLER
is quite a functional device.. will run ardu pilot, betaflight and cleanflight.
and it can do autonomous flight.

what do you guys think? is it a good deal?
https://alexnld.com/product/openpilot-cc3d-flight-controller-bent-pin-stm32-32-bit-flexiport/
And also important... It's affordable 😀

Dont know a thing about it...
Same here... What would we do without Google 😂?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

I don't see anything to handle an OSD there to give you battery info/etc. Nor the sensors it would need to do that. There are all sorts of questions I have about that board and I don't see anything indicating that it would run adru pilot or beta flight. I could list a whole bunch of other questionable bits and limitations of that board, but sufficed to say, I would recommend against trying to use it.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I don't see anything to handle an OSD there to give you battery info/etc. Nor the sensors it would need to do that. There are all sorts of questions I have about that board and I don't see anything indicating that it would run adru pilot or beta flight. I could list a whole bunch of other questionable bits and limitations of that board, but sufficed to say, I would recommend against trying to use it.
it was recommended on this site.
https://dojofordrones.com/drone-flight-controller/

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Yah, that web page is 2.5 years old. All of those examples appear to be pre 4in1 ESC modules. I don't see it discussing if they have OSD/Current Sensors/etc on the boards (and at least some of them do not).

poking around the rest of that site, it looks like there goal is to sell their $900 kit more then anything else. It doesn't seem focused on building the type of drone your talking about.

also for that given board, it doesn't indicate that it is an F4 or F7 board, so probably won't run current versions of the indicated software, the older MCUs were dropped from support in most of the FC software, even PWM input has been dropped, which that board is designed to support.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
ya the problem thou with fixed wing is that it kinda need a runway:ROFLMAO:... and i don't think my patio is big enough

thanks... no i don't have any fpv gear. and i'll also need a new tx and rx as i'm currently using old 35mhz stuff.
but i can get a specktrum dx6 and receiver for R1000 == $70. so thats not too bad.

@PsyBorg @Piotrsko
could you draw up a rough list of the approx gear i would need? so i can do some scrounging??

thanks Matthew

You hit the lottery or something? last time you pm'd me you said you couldn't afford $20 dollars to get a dongle with three free flight sims that came with it.

Id have to know what budget limits you have to try and find stuff but be aware I won't even click onto banggood to find stuff. For my own protection I NEVER recommend budget (aka cheap) gear. Its all respectable mid range known quality gear. That way if something goes south people can't say "Well Psyborg said" to pass blame.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
You hit the lottery or something? last time you pm'd me you said you couldn't afford $20 dollars to get a dongle with three free flight sims that came with it.

Id have to know what budget limits you have to try and find stuff but be aware I won't even click onto banggood to find stuff. For my own protection I NEVER recommend budget (aka cheap) gear. Its all respectable mid range known quality gear. That way if something goes south people can't say "Well Psyborg said" to pass blame.
no.. i am researching this for my parents (their request)
and i have also gotten a parttime job as a saleman (paid with commision)

my budget is probably a max of ~$500

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Daniel from RCtestflight has some extended range extended time solar projects that run mission plans you could put up in the morning and have it run a set pattern pretty much all day. With some ingenuity you could probably scale them down a little to better manage costs.

https://www.youtube.com/c/rctestflight

After hearing you want to spot humans doing bad things... Poking them with a stick probably isn't the best of ideas and if I were out doing nefarious things I know no drone would remotely change what I was doing. I would simply adapt to avoid a noisy one or shoot down a quiet one.

IF you are dead set on using uav's I would plan them as a surveillance only platform and use altitude to your advantage. Trying to shoot a moving target 120m up and 330m away is a tough shot for all but the best. That way you could spot them and then direct the professional security to them as well as guide them if the offenders are smart enough to monitor coms of security people for avoidance.

Now for the reality of this.. $500 dollar budget is not going to get you near something viable for the task. It would cover the aircraft but not the video system that would be good enough to spot people at a safe range where your gear would be out of harms way and far enough away they could not back track it to your homestead and come after you directly. What your asking to do is basically run a commercial grade platform on a toy budget. Cheap parts never add up to long life spans.

If anything buy a used phantom and have multiple batteries for a constant rotation. That way if it gets damaged or shot down you don't lose a ton of money. Not to mention any time a DJI product dies its karma for what they did and are doing to the hobby.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have an older p3p i have flown the snot out of, im on the second set of 4 batteries and the thing is still working great. I get about 20 min on a batter. With one plugged into the truck, 3 to fly with, i can fly nearly continuously.

LitterBug

Techno Nut

F3 flight controllers are obsolete. So is the CC3D.

You don't want anything less than a F405 based FC. No F411, No F3xx. No F722. Only FCs with lots of memory. Matek F405 FCs are the bomb!

Look at the support list for ArduPilot. Those or equivelent clones are what you want.

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Daniel from RCtestflight has some extended range extended time solar projects that run mission plans you could put up in the morning and have it run a set pattern pretty much all day. With some ingenuity you could probably scale them down a little to better manage costs.

https://www.youtube.com/c/rctestflight

After hearing you want to spot humans doing bad things... Poking them with a stick probably isn't the best of ideas and if I were out doing nefarious things I know no drone would remotely change what I was doing. I would simply adapt to avoid a noisy one or shoot down a quiet one.

IF you are dead set on using uav's I would plan them as a surveillance only platform and use altitude to your advantage. Trying to shoot a moving target 120m up and 330m away is a tough shot for all but the best. That way you could spot them and then direct the professional security to them as well as guide them if the offenders are smart enough to monitor coms of security people for avoidance.

Now for the reality of this.. $500 dollar budget is not going to get you near something viable for the task. It would cover the aircraft but not the video system that would be good enough to spot people at a safe range where your gear would be out of harms way and far enough away they could not back track it to your homestead and come after you directly. What your asking to do is basically run a commercial grade platform on a toy budget. Cheap parts never add up to long life spans.

If anything buy a used phantom and have multiple batteries for a constant rotation. That way if it gets damaged or shot down you don't lose a ton of money. Not to mention any time a DJI product dies its karma for what they did and are doing to the hobby.
something to consider for sure.. btw i wasn't planning to shoot at them.. if i spotted them i would call the armed response and they would be here in 7min....
the actual chance that they are armed is about 1/100 but it is that 1% chance that we don't like taking...

so just a question... if for now we ignored the video platform.. the price for just the drone's parts and electronics... would it fit under $500?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
F3 flight controllers are obsolete. So is the CC3D.

You don't want anything less than a F405 based FC. No F411, No F3xx. No F722. Only FCs with lots of memory. Matek F405 FCs are the bomb!

Look at the support list for ArduPilot. Those or equivelent clones are what you want.
(y)(y)