Heavy duty Depron Delta

WhiteFlash

Hi, this is my first RC airplane, and my first build.
Since i cannot get the dollar foam here in norway, i decided to make my own.
I got some 6 and 3mm depron, spray glue and coloured paper and glued them together.
One thing i learned is to spray the paper, not the depron, and let it dry a little before putting the paper onto the depron. The result is a super-strong material. The paper adds some thickness, making the 6mm depron 7mm and the 3mm into 4mm.

The delta airframe is made from 6mm depron with red and black paper, and the pod is made from 3mm(makes it compatible with all of the FT plans)

this plane is made mainly for me to learn how to fly without having to worry about not crashing. I have ordered a FT Duster and the "kit" from lazertoyz for when im comfortable flying the delta.

I really like the idea of the swappables and now that ive foud a way to make the raw material, i have a plan to make every one of the FT designs. I relly love the crafting of these things!

Anyways, im currently waiting for the electronics, so here are som pictures of the fuselage and the pod, ready for some volts!

2014-03-29 01.14.21.jpg 2014-03-29 01.14.43.jpg 2014-03-29 01.14.08.jpg [

Last edited:

WhiteFlash

Still havent gotten my electronics yet, so i decided to work on my power-pod.

I added landig-gear made from hanger-wire, bottle caps and pipe-insulation.
I also added a rear landing-gear, not shure it will hold, but it can take a 1m free-fall.

2014-04-02 22.12.47.jpg
2014-04-02 22.13.01.jpg
2014-04-02 22.13.09.jpg
2014-04-02 22.29.21.jpg

Sinkhole

Looking good. I can't wait to here how the maiden flight goes and that is one cool little rear gear.

WhiteFlash

thank you, im looking forward to the maiden, not only for the plane but also my first flight :D

I made the gear to hopefully make it easier to takeoff and land, it seems to me that the delta has a flaw when it comes to this part.
The elevons is touching the ground when it takes off and lands. in my head that puts strain on the servo and the rods, so im just trying to make it as durable as possible.

WhiteFlash

So.. maiden is done. I flies great, i just suck at flying. Killed 5 props on one battery, but no damage to the plane. :)