Hello all! Returning aviator

Flyin Okie

Hello everyone!

I have been involved in the various RC hobbies for over 35 years now.
I started with cars, and added boats, planes, and helis throughout the years.

I haven’t flown in around eight years, and my Airtronics (Sanwa) RD8000 seems to have little support anymore. So I would like some input on TX options. It seems that many are going the multi-rotor direction, and programming options aren’t so easy.

I have a traditional four-channel plane and a flying wing slope glider, but plan to add more going forward.
Helicopters interest my still, but not so much the multi-rotors.
Programmability is certainly needed, and would like the option to use to train others too.

I have no club near me, so compatibility with others isn’t a big issue currently.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have always used spektrum. I live in the boonies so the only hobby shop in 300 miles primarily supports spektrum so that's what I went with. There are cheaper options that seem to work well that I have not tried but I've never been disappointed in how my gear works. Only thing I can say is I'm not a huge fan of the DXe that I have, but it works fine as a buddy box when my kids fly. My dx8 is my go to and it has worked for everything I've done.

luvmy40

Elite member
I don't know how easy it is to buddy box with the Radiomaster TX16S, but with EdgeTX installed, programming is easy and almost limitless in capability. Reasonably priced as well. It is also multi protocol and ELRS capable(added module or can purchased ELRS).

L Edge

Master member
Since you already are an accomplished pilot, need more refinement in your direction for your future.
Are you just going to stay with foamy airplanes?
Are you going to start scaling up to where you buy models from hobby shops?
Are you leading up to gas (50cc or larger)or electric large size?
How about the helis? Dabble with the small or going big time?
What about gliders? Dabble or serious?
Like any sport, fun stuff cost money or are you on a real tight budget.

Makes a big difference in your purchase. Hey, Airtronics, Kraft and others aren't around anymore.

Flyin Okie

What I’ve had in the past went up to a Great Planes Escapade with a Saito FA56 (I only have the engine ATM). Everything else was electric.
I like that size and style of plane. Everything else was smaller.

As for helis, I have the least amount of expertise with them, but would like to work up to a 500 class or so eventually.

Gliders I hadn’t had much time with either, despite having several. I’m likely to just casually soar as I’ve not found a soaring club near central Missouri yet. Though LSF and ALES type thermal flying are what draw me to these.

And yes, fun stuff costs. My budget is limited for the near future.
I do like the NX10, but it’s more than I want to spend. And have never setup a full-house glider, just a Multiplex glider with ailerons.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.

I am also a big fan of the Radio Master, it has tremendous flexibility. With the flexibility comes complexity, expect a learning curve. I got mine a few months ago, it works great but I still have a lot to learn. I have seen somewhere that, if the RM is properly equipped, you can do wireless buddy box, with nearly any Tx. The RM can hold two transmitter modules, one module needs to be capable of acting like a Rx. Then you bind the student Tx to the RM as you any other Rx. The RM then sends the students control to the plane using the other module.

L Edge

Master member
What I’ve had in the past went up to a Great Planes Escapade with a Saito FA56 (I only have the engine ATM). Everything else was electric.
I like that size and style of plane. Everything else was smaller.

As for helis, I have the least amount of expertise with them, but would like to work up to a 500 class or so eventually.

Gliders I hadn’t had much time with either, despite having several. I’m likely to just casually soar as I’ve not found a soaring club near central Missouri yet. Though LSF and ALES type thermal flying are what draw me to these.

And yes, fun stuff costs. My budget is limited for the near future.
I do like the NX10, but it’s more than I want to spend. And have never setup a full-house glider, just a Multiplex glider with ailerons.

The only point I want to make is, whatever brand you pick, try to keep transmitter, receiver, servos the same brand, so as you move around(glider, heli, larger scale planes easily use 9 servos) you can transfer equipment on a limited budget. So if you have a couple of 6 channel, 7 channel and a few 9 channel rx's, it covers all issues.

With your background flying, also suggest you bypass analog and purchase digital servos since these will automatically improve your flying skill.

kdobson83

I have had a number of different TX's over the years including Flysky, Spektrum, Jumper, and and currently using a Radiomaster TX16 v2 with edgeTX on it with the internal 4in1. The Radiomaster is by far my favorite. It has more capability than any other radio in its price range and it does not lack in quality and with the 4in1 module built in, it can connect to pretty much any protocol receiver out there which has come in very handy. At about $200-$250 your getting a great radio. BUT, it does have a bit more of a learning curve than Spektrum or Flysky. With that being said, with this radio being so popular, there are TONS of "how to" videos out there so learning it isnt bad.

Flyin Okie

With your background flying, also suggest you bypass analog and purchase digital servos since these will automatically improve your flying skill.
I am onboard with the digital servos already in my cars. They have proven great with a 1/8 scale electric buggy I have.

Bricks

Master member
I am a Spektrum fan boy Dx9 ease of programing definitely goes to Spektrum, there programing is pretty straight forward it will do just about everything the Tx16s can. Also have a RadioMaster Tx16s there is a lot to learn on the programing end the best thing about the Tx16s is the multi-module which gives the radio much more versatile If Spektrum had the mulit-module hands down I would stay with Spektrum for customer service and the quality of their radios, I will never sell my Dx9 as it is such a great radio...