Hello, new here and looking for advice on getting into FPV :)

FlyingLego

Hello, I'm new to the forums here. I've been watching Flitetest videos since the early days and been into RC model flying since I was a kid(AirHogs etc) I joined my local RC Model flying club about 2yrs ago and trained on the Super Cub(Rudder/Elevator only). A few months ago I built the Bloody Wonder so I have a little basic experience with building(still a beginner though).

I've wanted to get into FPV Flying for a long time now but it always seemed technically complex so it was intimidating trying to learn everything and get into it. But now I'm ready to build one I think. I want to build an FPV plane for exploring parks and nature areas that is capable of slow flight. I just need some advice on what to buy, so I was wondering if someone could be helpful and tell me if it looks like everything on my list here will work when I put it together.

Here's what I'm looking at buying so far to set up a beginner FPV rig:

fpv gear.jpg

Does it look like this will all work when put together?
I should mention I already have a DX4e transmitter and an Orange Receiver and some 3s batteries/charger.

P.s. I'm brand new to the forums so I hope I'm following the rules and this is the right place to post this. :confused:

Bromego

Welcome!

FatShark Teleporter V5 FPV 5.8G Video Goggles W/ Head Tracking (Transmitter and 700L CMOS Camera Included) Fat Shark FSV1088 RTF FPV KIT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BWO29PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aHLmyb5CWNWNZ

$199 and includes everything and is literally plug and play.

Or something a little better. If you use those goggles you have. I love this transmitter

Eachine ET600R 5.8G 40CH 600mW Mini AV FPV Transmitter with RaceBand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019F2LJYO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XLLmybR6F9RY4

With these antennas

® FPV 5.8Ghz Circular Polarized Clover Leaf Antenna High Gain Aerial Set w/RP-SMA Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LGMTTPI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FPLmyb8XHWXC0

With this camera

Fat Shark Boys Cmos FPV Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145754EU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rTLmybF7BHXE5

Last edited:

Bromego

That camera transmitter combo has a 25mW transmitter, very low. It's good for close flying indoors. If you want comfortable range look for minimum 200mW systems.

Snowblind

Propeller Balancer
Lego, Hello!

The list you have in your first post should work so long as the goggles are SMA style connector like the antennae. The camera/transmitter antenna should also be RHCP aka "Right Hand Circular Polarized" to match the antennae you've chosen. Don't forget you'll need the power system/electronics for the plane itself, and 25mW is fine (WITH GOOD ANTENNAE) as long as you don't expect to go more than a football field away from yourself.

There are LEGAL REASONS to keep your video transmitter power low, please refer to your local laws about transmitter output power.

Last edited:

FlyingLego

Hello everyone thank you all for your advice. I am busy with college so I wont be able to be super active on here but I'll try to be back on again soon. Thank you all for your input. I'll look over what you've all said and be back in the next few days.

Thanks a bunch for sharing those tips!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
For goggles I recommend the quanum diy ones, they work just fine and they are cheap. For the rest I have been flying with stuff I got from amazona dn it works just fine, my whole fpv system was less than 100€.

Snowblind

Propeller Balancer
For goggles I recommend the quanum diy ones, they work just fine and they are cheap. For the rest I have been flying with stuff I got from amazona dn it works just fine, my whole fpv system was less than 100€.

I have the Quanum DIY and the DIY V2-Pro goggles; The V2 are nice, but the OP would need to buy a RX as well. The form factor (bulky) is a bit worse than any FatSharks I've seen.

The original poster asked if their list was going to work together, they've chosen what they want, probably after much deliberation, and wanted reassurance that they chose wisely, which it appears they have by what I can see.

Last edited: