Help Choosing new Plane

ASilver259

Quick introduction, I am training for my PPL and want something to fly in between lessons. I was going to get the Mini Apprentice S RTF but I realised it would be very hard to land in a field with rather tall grass (and also it is rather expensive). I was thinking that a Bixler style plane would be ideal for landing in a field with tall grass due to the fact it has no landing gear and the propeller is out of the way so it won't get damaged or tangled in the grass. Do you think a Bixler plane would be a good one to go for or are there any other styles of aircraft that would be good? I have a couple of requirements though, first I want it to have a least a metre wing span, needs to be RTF, preferably £200 or below and this isn't essential but SAFE would be nice but again not necessary. It also needs to be good enough that when I get more experienced with RC flying, I won't need to upgrade it. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

TL: DR: I need an RTF plane with at least a metre wing span for £200 or less that can land on grass.

quorneng

Master member
A Bixler flies very well but you could also consider a folding prop type, typically something like a Radian.
Although intended as an electric glider it has long been considered a good 'training' plane as in general it will do what it is told and in a reasonably sedate manner and it has the advantage it flies very nicely with the power off as well.

T-Richard

Ft Explorer is great. It's gotta a good wingspan, it's light, its a belly lander can work with many motor and battery combinations and has a swappable nose.

Many good choices out there. I do find it humorous though about not needing to buy more planes. This is just the beginning. In a year and a half we went from three to sixty eight. There is three of us flying but we are not close to the number of planes some of our club members have. Nice thing about being in a club, we have been given several planes. I think part of the reason why is they don't have any room for new planes they intend on buying.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If you're looking for a good, solid, steady plane that you can fly with SAFE, I gotta recommend the Apprentice S15. FliteTest and Horizon Hobbies carry it, and it's a solid, SOLID plane. My club uses them exclusively for trainers, because they have long flight times, great glide slopes, and if you set the rates up, you can do aerobatics with it. One of our club members, I don't know HOW he manages to do it, but he can get the Apprentice to fly like a 3D plane. I've seen him pirouette it down the runway, and I'm STILL not sure how he managed to do it. The plane's capable of a LOT.

It IS possible to kill it, but I've seen my dad bounce his on the runway from about 3 ft. up, and it flew just fine afterwards. I've gotta say that I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality of it.