Help - Failure to launch

CHSFlite

(Full discloser...this is my first RC anything. Absolute beginner)

For the past few weeks I've been piecing together my Rotor Bones tricopter and am using the following:
Blue Wonder Motors (1300kv)?
Multistar 15a ESC's
kk2.1 (latest firmware)
2200mah 3 cell lipo
8 inch props
Orange R615 transmitter
Dx6i receiver
mini servo (Turnigy?)

Finally plugged everything in today and did the BIND for the Rx / Tx. The KK2.1 is set to Tri-copter and the motors are all going in the correct direction(Clockwise, counter, and clockwise). I tried 2 test flights which resulted in boom / motor #2 flipping hard both times. Since this is my first flight ever I'm not 100% on the controls but based on my video below I think my controls are not synced correctly. The Dx6i is set to Helicopter and the kk board is set to tricopter.

My thought is that that ESC's aren't set up correctly. I haven't done anything with them except for plug them into the KK board.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Eureka!

I was half way through writing up troubleshooting for you then re-watched the video -- Brother, you've got your board mounted backwards! Guaranteed instant flip. The buttons should be facing the tail.

BTW, CHS, Welcome to the forum!

CHSFlite

Thanks for all of the responses and I think I'm getting close. I reversed the board (buttons now facing backwards) and followed the KK2 set up videos (btw my firmware on the kk2.1 is 1.6s1). My Aileron and Elevator were going in the opposite direction so I reversed them on my Dx6i and they are now working correctly.

Something I'm now confused about are props. My assumption was that all props were basically the same but in the KK2 Checklist video the person mentioned "Clockwise props" and "Counter clockwise props". Are there different directional props?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Go to your menu. Go down to "Show Motor Layout". It will graphically show the proper prop rotation. However, you're lucky as it's not critical for a tricopter.

And without being smarmy, and with all respect to someone new to the hobby, you should take some time and read up about the KK2, and multirotors in general, before attempting to fly it. I truly have no idea what's going to blindside you next.

Good luck and welcome to the forum! :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you don't feel like reading, Flitetest has done many good videos on getting started as well as other YouTube channels. Do a search for KK2 settings, radio setup and almost anything else you can think of. There's probably a video for it!

Of course, we never mind helping. What Cyber is getting at, is since you are just starting, it's easy to make any number of mistakes that are easily avoidable with just a little prevention. Learning a bit more about what you are trying to do is cheaper than having to replace parts just winging it...

CHSFlite

Made some progress tonight! Apparently I bought all counter clockwise props, so I just reversed the all motors and I have lift off. There is a good bit of spin so my flight wasn't long but I can tackle that problem that next.

Mine did that and I just adjusted where the angle of the back motor/servo. I put mine to the left like David said and I had to straighten it up so it would stop spinning.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Also make sure that when you move the copter, the rear servo is correcting in the right direction. You might need to pull the props off so you can run up the motors to check this.