Help me choose what to build

What Should I Build

• Total voters
So, after wrecking my 250 "racer" quad about 2 months ago, I finally have the time to build something. I sold all the parts that were good from that craft, so it will be starting from scratch. My question to you, what should I build. It's probably going to be a quad, as they tend to be easy and less expensive because it's only 4 or each motor, esc, etc. instead of 6 or 8. If you would like to see one of those other, not as often built, machines though, let me know. I am planning on making this the build thread along with the "help me decide" thread.

Again, I only can afford one of the following right now.

5" build:

3" build:

Indoor, Sub 70mm, build (I might even consider just buying the Eachine Dust X58):
  • Racerstar 1103B 10000kv motors
  • Eachine MiniCube Setup (FC, ESC, RX all in one stack)
  • 3D printed sub 70mm frame (haven't decided if I would design it myself or just take one off thingiverse)
  • 5.8gHz AIO FPV setup or micro VTX with Runcam Micro setup
  • ~35mm props
  • 300-500mah 1s lipo

Larger AP copter:

Any other option that you guys may suggest.

I am leaning more towards the 3" setup as then I can fly around my backyard, but also go to bigger fields and fly. I'm not too good of a Pilot yet so, while I want to get into racing (I'm a NASCAR fan), I'm not near good enough to actually compete yet.

Last edited:

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
Hey Nathan 116!

So after chatting with IAN, our new quad master of sorts haha... We have decided that if your looking for something similar to your LAST SET UP... we recommend the 5" or 3" set up. ALSO, when it comes to crashing and repair...the 3" set up will def be the cheaper option between the two. Based on your motors you are choosing with the 3" set up...that thing sounds like it will SCREAM...so that would def be a REALLY fun option... just all depends on WHICH SIZE you would use more! ;)

Hope this helps and keep us posted! looking forward to seeing it built!

Blessings
Stefan and Ian

kdobson83

Well, you've done quads, and since u don't want more motors, do a tri-copter. David from olden days FliteTest makes a good tri-copter. His mini tri-copter is really cool looking. Rcexplorer.se Look him up

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
You have to decide if you're content with DVR footage, or if you want to sling a GoPro.

If GoPro, I say 5".
If DVR, I suggest 3" as long as you're a solid solderer. Especially since you've already thought through wanting a size to fly through your backyard.

Hey Nathan 116!

So after chatting with IAN, our new quad master of sorts haha... We have decided that if your looking for something similar to your LAST SET UP... we recommend the 5" or 3" set up. ALSO, when it comes to crashing and repair...the 3" set up will def be the cheaper option between the two. Based on your motors you are choosing with the 3" set up...that thing sounds like it will SCREAM...so that would def be a REALLY fun option... just all depends on WHICH SIZE you would use more! ;)

Hope this helps and keep us posted! looking forward to seeing it built!

Blessings
Stefan and Ian

Thanks for the insight! I'm not necessarily looking for something similar to my last build, but something to that I could learn FPV stuff on, that will hold up in crashes. As for "using more" over the summer, I'd probably use the 3" or indoor quad more, but back at school, I'd have a decent field to fly in so size wouldn't be as much of a factor.

Well, you've done quads, and since u don't want more motors, do a tri-copter. David from olden days FliteTest makes a good tri-copter. His mini tri-copter is really cool looking. Rcexplorer.se Look him up

I have thought about a mini-tri, but as I mentioned, I'm trying to make it more of a budget build. While I'd love to support the developers in the hobby, like David with his Tricopter, the price tag associated with that is well above my price range (I am a college student, so money is on the scarcer side). In a few years once I'm done with school, I will probably end up upgrading all of my copter to the higher end, more original parts, and less cheap chinese knockoff clones.

You have to decide if you're content with DVR footage, or if you want to sling a GoPro.

If GoPro, I say 5".
If DVR, I suggest 3" as long as you're a solid solderer. Especially since you've already thought through wanting a size to fly through your backyard.

As far as recording footage, I have never really dabled in that in the past. While some flight footage can be cool to watch, I tend to find it quite boring. I care more about flying than I do about watching my flight footage and seeing how terrible of a pilot I am. As far as soldering, I'm pretty good at it. I've done some smaller soldering jobs on other, non-hobby related electronics, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Thanks for all the input so far and pleaase keep it coming.

Just a quick overall thought. i think building an AP style quad right now wouldn't be too good of an idea as I don't have too much to film at the moment. Hopefully, if I get the internship I applied for, I will be able to build one of the other options in the fall.

Nathan

Ok, so after a very long pause in this endeavor, I have finally decided on what size quad to build. I will be building the sub 70mm quad. This decision was made more out of necessity than anything else. With working 70+ hours a week, I don't get too much time to fly, and then when I do have time, it's during lunch and dinner breaks behind a grocery store in a small, EMPTY, parking lot (I will not be in danger of harming anyone or anything). I need something small that I can just toss in a backpack and go.

I will be building either a 3 inch or 5 inch (or both depending on time and funds) quad this fall, once I go back to school and my schedule isn't as crazy.

So, here is the setup that I am planning to use:

Going to start ordering this week. Will let you all know when stuff arrives.

Here's a screenshot of the frame I'm going to 3D print. Will also provide updates with revisions and updates to the frame.

Screenshot 1.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I know me and speed.. I suggest you spec this out to support 3s as I can guarantee you will want to step up in a short time after building it. Specially if you will be out doors at all. That way you can still fly 2s indoor or where speed is bad but can toss a 3s on and rip the wild blue outside.

Well, I managed to get some of the motor mount support done for the bottom of the frame. I added it to help stiffen it up. I also added slots for the battery strap.

I plan on adding more stiffeners to the frame, especially for the arms as I don't know what types of speeds I'll be hitting, and I know the 3D printed frames tend to be quite flexible.

Screenshot 2.jpg

Well, after another morning of rain, I was able to sit down and finish up V1 of the frame. There is a 1mm ridge around the outside of the main plate on the bottom to help with rigidity. I thickened it to 2mm on the arms to aid with strength when crashing and to prevent them from bending during punchouts.

I hope to print this sometime next week, as soon as my filament gets delivered. Going with some PLA, probably black as I like the black quad frame looks.

Screenshot 3.jpg

jdbugman

Ok, so after a very long pause in this endeavor, I have finally decided on what size quad to build. I will be building the sub 70mm quad. This decision was made more out of necessity than anything else. With working 70+ hours a week, I don't get too much time to fly, and then when I do have time, it's during lunch and dinner breaks behind a grocery store in a small, EMPTY, parking lot (I will not be in danger of harming anyone or anything). I need something small that I can just toss in a backpack and go.

I will be building either a 3 inch or 5 inch (or both depending on time and funds) quad this fall, once I go back to school and my schedule isn't as crazy.

So, here is the setup that I am planning to use:

Going to start ordering this week. Will let you all know when stuff arrives.

Here's a screenshot of the frame I'm going to 3D print. Will also provide updates with revisions and updates to the frame.

View attachment 90369

Can you post the .pdf or .png of the frame I would love to laser cut this frame. I have the same props and same motors i was going to design a frame like this and the dead cat is the only frame style i dont have. I love your design it is simple but should work great. Good luck in your build

JDBugman

Can you post the .pdf or .png of the frame I would love to laser cut this frame. I have the same props and same motors i was going to design a frame like this and the dead cat is the only frame style i dont have. I love your design it is simple but should work great. Good luck in your build

JDBugman

Here's a PDF of the frame. Let me know if there are any problems with it and I'll do my best to fix them. Also, please post your build here in this thread as I would love to see how it turns out!!

Good Luck, Nathan

View attachment 65mm Splatted Frog V1.pdf

So, after a long summer of working and then getting back to school only to get hit by Irma, I finally got around to building a quad. Due to working (and birthday money) I am actually going to be able to build 2 of the 3 aforementioned quads, both the brushless whoop and the 5", with either a 3", 5" tri, or AP bird coming later this school year.

The first machine I built is the brushless whoop (though the custom frame is still in development). Here are the parts used as well as a few pictures of the final product.

The frame that I am using until I get around to completing my own design is:

My custom frame will be 65mm "splatted frog/dead cat" style frame.

Have flown maybe 5 batteries through it. Doesn't have a ton of power, but it has enough to fly around and do a few flips and rolls. Had to go and drop the ESC startup power to .25 and the motor timing to medium-high to prevent the dreaded "death roll," but since then it hasn't occured, though the quad still needs some tuning. Will post some flight footage later when I get a chance to put some more packs through it.

20170917_121508.jpg

20170917_121514.jpg

20170917_121530.jpg
(Quarter added for scale)