Help needed buying my new brushless motor

0__0

Let's say I take the br3536 950kv. I buy a 11x5/10x6 prop. Do you have any suggestions for 11x5/10x6 folding props ? The datasheet says 26A /35A current load.
So I guess I need a 30A/40A ESC.

Is that setup ok for my Glider ?

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
Actually I'll fly a large(2m wingspan) and quite heavy (≃1.5kg) glider. The dead motor was from my B pack I bought for my Mini Scout. My glider really lacked power with this motor and a 6x3 prop. Is the (1050/1808kv suggested by @Hondo76251 + a 6x3 prop) going to be enough to make a glider with these specs not stall when climbing ?

Thank you.
Whether it stalls or not depends on how steep the climb is and how much thrust is being developed. If it stalls, you need to lower the climb angle or increase the throttle. I built a 4 meter wingspan balsa glider that came out at 1870 grams. I fly it off this motor and this folding prop from Hobbyking on a 30A ESC on 3s batteries. Here's some FPV footage of a climb and glide just to give you an idea of the climb performance. It only climbs at about maybe a 25 degree angle or so, but as long as you don't stall it (and have some patience) it gets up there just fine. The reason I didn't put a bigger motor on it is it doesn't need it, and the motor I got works great as a B or C pack equivalent.

Last edited:
Aerodynamics will offer you a lot going for the FB speed record. The motor and prop combos are important for sure but it is only half the story. Weight and aerodynamics will make a huge difference using the same power plant on different planes

man I totally understand what you're saying! Foam board planes are draggy anyway so I've got to do my best to minimize frontal area and strength and do all I can to prevent flutter. I have a pretty good design did I have sketched out and it will be more than likely a v tail!

Aerodynamics and weight can make much difference as changing a prop. I have two different types of combinations in mine one of them is lightweight light battery lightweight construction and the other one is a Top fuel dragster approach. Lol I'm going to send you a p.m. about a transmitter.

0__0

Thank you @Jackson T ! But now this motor is out of stock. Is there any equivalents out there ? I think i also need a spinner for the prop ? Is there any compatible one with the motor ?

Jackson T

Elite member
Thank you @Jackson T ! But now this motor is out of stock. Is there any equivalents out there ? I think i also need a spinner for the prop ? Is there any compatible one with the motor ?
Good point. I contacted their customer support live chat, and the operator said they aren't sure, but it might be being discontinued. Here's the spinner I used with it, BTW. I don't remember the whole equation, but I remember seeing a prop efficiency equation, and the less difference between the plane's speed and the air pushed by the prop, the more efficient. Therefore it is more efficient for slow planes (like gliders) to have a large prop pushing the air relatively slowly than a small prop pushing the air really fast.

0__0

Isn't 1700kv a bit high for a slow glider ? If I buy this motor + a 10x6 prop, what will the A ESC current load load. So which ESC do I need 30A/40A maybe 50A ?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The higher the KV no matter what size, the higher amp draw. Then the more voltage will increase the amp draw respectively. You will want to keep the KV lower, which in turn requires a smaller lighter ESC. On a glider you dont need a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio. You could even gain altitude with a B pack sized motor on a 20 amp ESC on 2s. It will still climb faster then it drops in glide. That way you keep your weight down to a minimum.

0__0

So I need a motor with a kv lower than 1000 and a power of around 300W would be great but not oversized.

0__0

I think I'll go back to this Motor , a 10x6 prop, a 40A ESC. This sould provide a max thrust of around 1500g which is super high. The only problem now is the spinner. It allows 4/5mm shafts but I can't find the br3536's shaft diameter. Does anybody know what that diameter is ? Even the Racerstar Website doesn't tell you that.

Jackson T

Elite member
I think I'll go back to this Motor , a 10x6 prop, a 40A ESC. This sould provide a max thrust of around 1500g which is super high. The only problem now is the spinner. It allows 4/5mm shafts but I can't find the br3536's shaft diameter. Does anybody know what that diameter is ? Even the Racerstar Website doesn't tell you that.
Looks like a decent motor there, I'll keep it in mind for my future projects!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Really? That sucks! I haven't had that happen yet but I can see how its something to consider on shafted motors. I have broken a few prop shaft adapters...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Really? That sucks! I haven't had that happen yet but I can see how its something to consider on shafted motors. I have broken a few prop shaft adapters...
The shafts on the 1808 are hollow, and when using loctite on them, the spinner but it comes with wouldn’t let go and twisted the shaft. That was my fault though since I was using loctite - without it I didn’t have any issues with the motor.

leaded50

Legendary member

i have ordered a Racestar D3536 1200 kv motor trough Ebay, there it says shaft diameter: 6mm ..

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Is a spinner suitable for the BR3536 with it's threaded shaft ? If yes which one please ?
Yup, a spinner will work just fine with that motor. And what size of spinner is up to you and will depend on what plane you’re putting it on - just make sure it fits your prop.