Help! Help needed with inserting carbon tube into foam wing for motor mount

jonasmotoz

I have a rmrc recruit / sonicmodell ar wing 900 and I'm making it in a vtol flying wing. In order to add motors to the front, I need to insert carbon square tubing into the front of the wing. I don't know what the best way to do this is and if anybody has an idea for a different design then I'm all ears. Although I think it would work best like this. It should look like this.
1581013098931.png

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It would function equally well if you made either an under wing or over wing motor pylon with the square tube in the pylon and then glue the pylon to the wing in the place required.

Otherwise you will need to hack into the wing in order to get the tube in the correct place and then refit/glue the removed foam back in place. It would be less difficult to hack into the bottom side of the wing.

Have fun!

jonasmotoz

It would function equally well if you made either an under wing or over wing motor pylon with the square tube in the pylon and then glue the pylon to the wing in the place required.

Otherwise you will need to hack into the wing in order to get the tube in the correct place and then refit/glue the removed foam back in place. It would be less difficult to hack into the bottom side of the wing.

Have fun!
Thanks a lot! If I cut into the bottom of the wing. What adhesive would be best to glue it all back together?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It all depends on where you live and what is available for you to use.
I use a local equivalent of sullivans clear craft glue which is both cheap and holds extremely well. It does not need to be used in great quantity and it also adheres to carbon fibre and all but the hardest of woods.

I would avoid hot melt and the like and also avoid epoxy unless there is no other choice.

Done properly the glue seam will actually be a point of strength in the wing.

Have fun!