HELP, nothing to describe, just plain help

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
a friend of mine gave me some old engines. two were gone, and one looks decent. it is a mccoy 29 (according to something on the side). he said he controlled the plane it was on with line (control line). so what i need help with is identifying what all it needs and if it is worth keeping/selling (and if so, price range????)
be forewarned i know nothing of fuel aircraft, so...

Attachments

• 20150630_144210.jpg
    20150630_144210.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20150630_144223.jpg
    20150630_144223.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20150630_144229.jpg
    20150630_144229.jpg
    768 KB · Views: 9
  • 20150630_144240.jpg
    20150630_144240.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20150630_144251.jpg
    20150630_144251.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150630_144203.jpg
    20150630_144203.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 4

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Yup, that looks like a .29 Red Head in good shape, but you never know til you run it. It was an economical engine. From what I gather, and I have about 10 of them to get running in different displacements, but quality varied from copy to copy. Some guys who were serious CL'ers would by 4-5 at a time to mix and match parts to get a good engine. I have a small collection of CL planes, some built that I got on craigslist, some still in sheets and sticks in the kit box.
Look up "shugemery" on youtube - he is also a member here. He has a couple dozen videos of his progression in the hobby. Shows how to have fun.
Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete.

PS - Show us photos of the other engines, don't discount them, they may be good runners.

Balsa to Foam

A Jack of All Planes!!!
im afraid you cant it is run buy a venturi system(like one of those cox .049 engines) not a carbourator. you can put it on an rc plane but it would run it full throttle the whole time till it runs out of fuel.

It also appears to be missing the plate that would go onto the crank, that the propeller tightens against. There should be a metal bit, that fits on the taper on the crank. The McCoy was a very popular CL engine. I can't speak to the quality, but I know the old CL guys in the club speak favorably of them. Maybe their favorable opinion is more sentimental than anything. I also have an old Red head, but haven't started it yet. I have heard that the old engines prefer a much higher mix of castor oil that what is typically available. The old boys at the club that still fly CL buy their fuel from some place in Oregon, and it's all castor for the lube, no synthetic at all.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
It also appears to be missing the plate that would go onto the crank, that the propeller tightens against. There should be a metal bit, that fits on the taper on the crank. The McCoy was a very popular CL engine. I can't speak to the quality, but I know the old CL guys in the club speak favorably of them. Maybe their favorable opinion is more sentimental than anything. I also have an old Red head, but haven't started it yet. I have heard that the old engines prefer a much higher mix of castor oil that what is typically available. The old boys at the club that still fly CL buy their fuel from some place in Oregon, and it's all castor for the lube, no synthetic at all.

something with little bumps on it, cause ive got that

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXGzB7qnXOQ

This was/is a popular Control Line engine - so no throttle. Also, these are often run in four-stroke mode- sloppy rich. If you are really good you can tune for a 4-2-4 break which means it leans out when you climb so goes into a true 2 cycle mode, and then as you descend returns to "4 stroke" firing every two revolutions of the prop. I haven't gotten to the point of being able to tune that well.

They don't have mufflers so some clubs don't allow.

Cheers, Peter