Help! Help with Explorer power pod/firewall?

First time building an Explorer. The build video shows a four piece triangle pod made out of wood, that is then glued in the foam pod. My kit came with only one wood piece and foam pod. It almost looks like I'm supposed to make the pod, then glue/tape the pod onto the back edge, similar to how the firewall is mounted on a Tiny Trainer. Is that correct?

PXL_20211007_025550195.jpg

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
First time building an Explorer. The build video shows a four piece triangle pod made out of wood, that is then glued in the foam pod. My kit came with only one wood piece and foam pod. It almost looks like I'm supposed to make the pod, then glue/tape the pod onto the back edge, similar to how the firewall is mounted on a Tiny Trainer. Is that correct?

View attachment 209245
That is the incorrect firewall for the Explorer. There should be a firewall, a lower plate, and 2 triangular side braces. You'll need to contact your point of purchase about the error. FT will get you fixed up!

randyrls

Randy
BrickPlane; It is as Addicted said. It looks like you have the Speed Build Kit; The firewall you need is this one. The "new" style of power pack motors are not exactly the same as the original and I am not sure how to mount them in the firewall. You can find a long and complete build video in the FliteTest channel on YouTube for the Explorer.

Well, got another hitch in my build. Got the firewall built and installed the motor. The build video shows a different style of Power Pack C motor that mounts on the inside of the firewall, with the prop shaft coming through the firewall. Because I have the Radial type motor, I mounted it to the base like the video shows for a Power Pack B motor.

For whatever reason, my 9x6 APC prop is now hitting the tail boom and is about 1/2" from having clearance.

I am only flying this as a 3CH trainer right now and will be flying mostly stock, with a 70 gram action camera setup on occasion. Do y'all think it's fine for me to prop down to an 8x6 to get the clearance I need? Would it then be underpowered for carrying an action cam?

PXL_20211007_175411216.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Well, got another hitch in my build. Got the firewall built and installed the motor. The build video shows a different style of Power Pack C motor that mounts on the inside of the firewall, with the prop shaft coming through the firewall. Because I have the Radial type motor, I mounted it to the base like the video shows for a Power Pack B motor.

For whatever reason, my 9x6 APC prop is now hitting the tail boom and is about 1/2" from having clearance.

I am only flying this as a 3CH trainer right now and will be flying mostly stock, with a 70 gram action camera setup on occasion. Do y'all think it's fine for me to prop down to an 8x6 to get the clearance I need? Would it then be underpowered for carrying an action cam?

View attachment 209253
If I were you.
I would rebuild the motor mount .... Foam piece, and then push the motor mount up as far as it'll go, while still keeping the correct angle.... This will give you the clearance you need....
I did it on mine, and is seemed to fly pretty well.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

View attachment 209253
If I were you.
I would rebuild the motor mount .... Foam piece, and then push the motor mount up as far as it'll go, while still keeping the correct angle.... This will give you the clearance you need....
I did it on mine, and is seemed to fly pretty well.

Taildragger

Legendary member

View attachment 209253
I don't think you need to rebuild, just prop down to 8x6