Help with tissue covering

DarkFire

As a long time foam builder, I am excited to announce my first balsa plane has been ordered!!:D it is the Dumas L-19 , kit #236. 18 inch wingspan, it is rubber powered and tissue covered. It doesn't seem to have a large following which is a little bit disappointing, but I think between RD Groups and the FT forums I'll be fine.

I have one question after reviewing all info on stick and tissue building. When I cover the plane, I understand I trace the perimeter of the part with glue (50/50 elmers glue and water from what I've read) but do I trace the ribs or structural struts under the tissue too?

Thanks,
Dark

Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Two schools of thought here. I tend to glue it to every surface that is on the same level. Most things in this hobby are figuring out what you like to do. :)

Here's a video series I started (I still have 5 more videos to complete) that show my methods for building stick and tissue. It isn't the only way but it's how I do it.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You could dump the tissue and go for one of the lightweight shrink films instead.

Have fun!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One thing that might help . . . Blue/purple "disappearing" glue-sticks.

The glue softens with rubbing alcohol.

Typically, I paint the wood with a bit of the glue dissolved in alcohol (mixed live like an oil painter), and let it dry. When it comes time to apply the tissue, I hold it to the wood by a corner and dampen it with alcohol -- acts like ironing on monokote, sticking as it dries. Don't like how a piece laid out? Dampen it again to loosen the glue, and gently move the tissue around.

Easy-Peasy ;)