hitec optic 6

elvenpure

hey guys.
now i have only ever had one radio. the hitec optic 6 36mhz.
it is about 4-5 years old now and has served me very well.
i recently got fed up with the stock battery cause it died every 30 minutes and would require chargeing.
i did some research and decided it was safe to use an old lipo i had lying around.
this worked really well for a while.
about two weeks later the LED on the front begun to die and i started getting minor glitches.
now i am getting gliteches all the time about every few minutes.
i now have very short range and im worried i have broken something.
i thought if a lipo had been too much it would have smoked and died instantly.
the question i have is this.
is the whole radio now bricked or can i buy a frsky module to get it working again?
if not then is it possible to get fixed?
if not then i will be in the market for a new radio.
i need to be able to program for a wing.
needs to be 2.4ghz
needs 6 channels.
needs to be cheap.
many thanks.
any ideas are appreciated.
elf.

elvenpure

i dont like the turnigy because the stick movement is too big, its feels cheap and plasticky.
and also it doesnt have a ratcheted throttle stick.
i actuelly have one of my friends sort of on perminant loan.
i just dont like it.
bad programming and cheap feel.
i have hardly any money to spend on a radio but im happy to make a small investment for something ill actuelly enjoy flying with rather than something i just dont like.
may sound silly but yea.
thinking maybe that cheap 6ch futaba from hk.
elf.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If you don't like the 'cheap feel' of the 9x, don't pick up a Spektrum... I think the 9x feels great in the hand, but that's me. Factory stock tension on the sticks was too light, but that's very easily fixed. I don't like a ratchet on the throttle either, and find the 9x smooth enough. You could probably fix the Optic, but it'd take a decent amount of know-how or an expensive repair job. Take the opportunity to go to 2.4. You won't regret it.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
..the hitec optic 6 36mhz.
it is about 4-5 years old now and has served me very well.
... the LED on the front begun to die and i started getting minor glitches.
now i am getting gliteches all the time about every few minutes.
I do not think it will help with a new module if the front led indicates that you dont have power.
Check your Lipo if it is OK under load.
If you are going to upgrade the radio to 2,4 - why not Hitec stuff?
Both TX module and RX are reasonably priced and can be used with the Aurora if you later want to upgrade.

elvenpure

Thanks for the responses.
What I was saying was I like the ratcheting.
And the lack of it on the 9x is off putting.
I was thinking of getting a new hitec optic 6 2.4ghz
About $220 on eBay with 2 receivers.
Only problem is additional receivers would be like $60 each.
This is a hitec with optima module.
Could I rip out the guts of my optic 6 and replace it with the 9x? Or is that really silly and hard?
Also the one thing I did not like about the optic 6 were the side sliders.
Is it possible to replace them with a switch?
If anybody has an old MHz one I'd be happy to buy it.
Many thanks.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
So, is there a ratcheting option available on the 9x?
The Dx6i comes with a metal piece that can be installed for those who like the ratcheting on the throttle.
Just wondering if the 9x has that available?

elvenpure

there is not a piece that come with it, however it may have teeth on the inside to be able to install something to create the ratchet effect.
ill have a look later.
elf.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I have picked up a spektrum and an aroura and i cant say they felt any better than the 9x...I love my 9x and as I am learning to fly a heli (450 Clone) I am realy starting to learn the ins and outs of its programming...I paid £28 for mine from the DE warehouse and i know if i put it on ebay it would fetch £80 - £100 no problem....the receivers are only $9 and if you take them apart and cling film em u can even use them in micros.....keep flying

con244

I have the FlySky version of the 9x and it came with ratcheting throttle. In fact I had to convert it over from Mode2 to Mode1 and move the metal ratcheting thingo. Elf when you did the lipo conversion I assume that you had to solder a new connector to the battery leads in your tx. Did you have to do any soldering on the tx board itself. The sort of faults you are talking about could be attributed to either a dud battery or even a bad connection with with the tx basically turning on and off as the connection works and then doesn't. You are right about the lipo frying the unit if it was too big a voltage it would have taken out the safety diode and parts of the power supply. Maybe look for bad solder pads and connections. Can you post any HiRes pics of the conversion and any other work you may have done to the circuitry?
Con

Last edited:

elvenpure

hi, thanks for the info on the battery but unforunatly i changed nothing to the inside of the tx.
i simply unplugged the stock battery and plugged in a lipo with a liitle xt60-servo lead, that i made.
i then plugged it straight in and it worked for a while.
ohh and for everybody who told me to try the 9x, i did and it cost me a plane.
im not saying it was the 9xs fault, but it spiralled and would not come out.
so maybe my bad programming or unfamiliarity with the slughty larger sticks.
i just dont like and now i have proved to myself im not going to get one.
is there somewhere i can send my hitec to be repaired?
thanks, elf.

elvenpure

Okay I live in Melbourne Australia.
On that link you sent it says I need to post in original packaging with receipt.
I can't do either of those.
Is it worth going to a hobby shop and seeing if they can help?
Or should I just get a new one?
Thanks.
Elf.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Ask around and see if anyone of your friends now a radio technician.
It is not that hard to fix something wrong with the power supply part in the radio.
There are a lot more forums on the net - you are not alone with a hitec optic running on 3 cell lipo - search and you will find answers.

con244

Elf I live in Adelaide and have quite a bit of electronics training. If you can get it to me with a rx and the new battery I'd be happy to have a look no charge except the postage back to you. pm me if you are interested.
Con

elvenpure

sure. i just pmed you.
do you have any ideas of what might be wrong?
if its something small that needs replacing then i have some soldering skills myself.
but if you think it could be something complicated and you could help then id be happy to send it.
thanks heaps.
elf.