HK's 'Old Time' J3 Cub

sandblaster

I've flown 4 times so far, with 2 'crashes'. The most damage I've done is snap a prop in half. The footage you want to watch isn't the first time I fly the cub, it's the first time I try and land a plane!!! I can land them on the simulator, but that's a bit different... I grew up in a house with a dad who was (and still is) really into flying models and married someone the same. Now all 3 of our boys are into planes so unless I wanted to spend my days being bored by all their aeroplane talk, I had to become interested too. Now I know most of the planes in the history channel's dogfight series, go to the war memorial to talk to the planes at least 2 times a term and will cheerfully visit any plane memorial/flying exhibit the rest want to go to. Better than being bored or resentful

Banshee,

You are a rare jewel. What a great attitude and effort you have put into your family. I'm sure it will have many blessed returns.

Have fun and make great memories with the family.

Banshee

It was a little bit breezy but hubby assured me it would be fine... I actually got a few circuits in before I crashed it :) but then there was a gust of wind that blew the plane sideways and I (typically) panicked. John's going 'Away from the trees!!!' and the plane hit the top of an oak tree and cart-wheeled to the ground with bits flying everywhere :( 1 broken wing, broken struts, busted motor mount, cracked cowl, cracked fuselage, sad me. Johnno made some new wings out of foam board, glued everything else back together and took it flying to try it out. Flew twice with it, then on 3rd take-off it died and busted apart again. Poor little plane. A bit more than a small scratch in the paint now.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Quite picturesque, those trees at Yarralumla.

;)

Sorry to hear though.

PS, did you see the fallen tree, perhaps due to the storms? Maybe the others there should follow its.example.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, she did pretty well, although she doesn't like to use the wide open space much. The tree-line seems to be a magnet for her ;)

I'm impressed at how well the foamboard wings worked! I couldn't get much undercambre into them without stuffing the foam, but they performed as well as the stock ones! We even painted them a similar yellow! I'm about to glue the bits that came off on my post-repair test flight :eek:

Banshee

We did discuss how much encouragement would be needed to get that other tree to fall, but leave the plane to float gently down to earth without further damage. Came to the conclusion a bulldozer or chainsaw would be best...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
A couple of pics for the file ;)

12032012589.jpg 12032012595.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Well, the cub is dead. I tried to transfer it to Sheena's tx. Given how much trim it needed to put it on mine, I should have been more cautious... I put the plane up, and it was way out of trim. I almost recovered it, but ended up putting it into a tree. It was largely undamaged, so I adjusted the trim and put it up again. I almost completed a circuit but got into a death wobble and the thing hit the ground. It was probably fixable, but I've salvaged the parts. I think she can have my Tuff Trainer instead...