Horizontal Stabilizer Repair

Byrdman

Flew my Simple Cub into a tree and the HS broke off at the side of the fuselage. I glued it back on, but is there any way to determine if the repair will hold up or not under flight?

I think no. It depends on what glue you used, the strength of the glue joint and the forces on the stabilizer in flight. It'll probably be fine.

Next time you repair it you might drive a couple toothpicks through the new glue joint as you glue it, into the foam between the two paper sides. But if you're using hot glue that might be a little tricky to do.

Byrdman

I think no. It depends on what glue you used, the strength of the glue joint and the forces on the stabilizer in flight. It'll probably be fine.

Next time you repair it you might drive a couple toothpicks through the new glue joint as you glue it, into the foam between the two paper sides. But if you're using hot glue that might be a little tricky to do.

I glued it back on with hot glue and put a popsicle stick on top on the elevator and will probably run a skewer through the fuse and glue it to both sides of the bottom on the HS.

Just the glue joint will hold fine if I pick up the plane, without wing, by the HS that was ripped off, so it does look to be strong enough. My only fear at this point is whether I'll have enough authority on the elevator for control.

I glued it back on with hot glue and put a popsicle stick on top on the elevator and will probably run a skewer through the fuse and glue it to both sides of the bottom on the HS.

Just the glue joint will hold fine if I pick up the plane, without wing, by the HS that was ripped off, so it does look to be strong enough. My only fear at this point is whether I'll have enough authority on the elevator for control.
Hey if the elevator works as it did before the break, with that popsicle stick it'll be fine.
There's no magic trick here. You're using your ingenuity same as I do. Foam or popsicle sticks or skewers... Whatever works. No sweat.
I crashed my first plane so much and repaired it so much it was more glue and bamboo skewers than FB by the time I retired it! Darn thing still flew like a champ but it was crooked and crumply all over. :D

Maybe I should make a new one one of these days. :unsure:

Byrdman

Hey if the elevator works as it did before the break, with that popsicle stick it'll be fine.
There's no magic trick here. You're using your ingenuity same as I do. Foam or popsicle sticks or skewers... Whatever works. No sweat.
I crashed my first plane so much and repaired it so much it was more glue and bamboo skewers than FB by the time I retired it! Darn thing still flew like a champ but it was crooked and crumply all over. :D

Maybe I should make a new one one of these days. :unsure:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Monte!! I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Plus. worst case scenario, I build a new one:)