House of Balsa 2x4 Build

jsknockoff

Mentor
Since the EVA is all finished waiting for a test flight, I started eyeing up what's next on the list. While I finish my Four Star I'm going to get started on a HOB 2x4. I will be recutting the wing ribs out of much lighter balsa and possibly going with a lighter spar. The leading edge in this kit is made of hardwood dowel that will be replaced with a carbon fiber tube. The fuselage is going to be built from balsa instead of lite ply. And it will be getting an outrunner built into the nose with a folding prop.

The things I haven't decided on yet are:
1. If I will make it polyhedral or build two flat outer wing panels with dihedral.
2. Add ailerons if I go with flat outer panels.
3. Add another 8-12" into the wing.

Any thoughts?

dutchmonkey

The things I haven't decided on yet are:
1. If I will make it polyhedral or build two flat outer wing panels with dihedral.
2. Add ailerons if I go with flat outer panels.
3. Add another 8-12" into the wing.

Any thoughts?

Add 12" do flat pannels with ailerons and flaps and only do about 1" of dihedral should be a fun build. I have a old mm glide tech commoner that I am changing airfoil and expanding to 2m.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Good call on using CF tube for the leading edge. It'll be strong and much lighter, I've done that on a number of planes.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You could build a perfectly flat wing and have short tip sections with a dihedral angle vaguely similar to the F4 Phantom. This would reduce the need for a strong central wing joint and the weight that goes with it. The outer tip panel joints can be far lighter and the tip can even be sacrificial in the event of a moderate crash.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Wonder if I could get away with using a carbon fiber tube for the spar and making it like a hotliner style similar to the Durafly Excalibur?

Keep the ideas coming guys, I want to make this a special little plane. It's the perfect size for taking on a trip, or keeping in the car.