Solved How could I make a simple switch or relay

Scotto

Elite member
I just want to use a regular servo channel to switch on and off 12v leds. Preferably without a servo hooked to a switch. Something simple and cheap and light. Relay? Solenoid? Transistors? Something like a servo hooked to a potentiometer would be a cool bonus but is there a simpler solution?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
You could make a simple little mechanical switch with a small servo. Have your circuit however you want, but make sure it is broken at one point with the leads exposed. A servo with some conductive material at the end of the arm would be placed so that when the servo is actuated, the material at the end of the arm connects the two broken ends of the circuit and allows power to flow.
Problems could arise though depending on how much current you need and how reliable you may want this to be. You would also have to find some way to ensure that all the exposed parts of your circuit cannot come into contact with something conductive and cause problems.
I'm pretty sure this has been done before on some rc plane for possibly a rocket launch or bomb drop or something but I can't be sure.
You should also note that this is just a normal switch but instead of a servo driving a switch the servo is built into the mechanism itself.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Just get an Rc led controller off Amazon. I don't have the link atm but they're pretty common and sold by a ton of brands. They plug into a port on your Rx and you can control a string of 5v LEDs that come with it. I'll post a link to it in a few minutes

Scotto

Elite member
i didn't get this line? pls explain
I couldve said that better. I guess I was thinking to have a dimmer dial on my tx but be a small solid state thing on the plane running 12v lights. After thinking about it more, an on/off switch would be better because I wouldnt have to take a thumb off a stick.

Scotto

Elite member
You could make a simple little mechanical switch with a small servo. Have your circuit however you want, but make sure it is broken at one point with the leads exposed. A servo with some conductive material at the end of the arm would be placed so that when the servo is actuated, the material at the end of the arm connects the two broken ends of the circuit and allows power to flow.
Problems could arise though depending on how much current you need and how reliable you may want this to be. You would also have to find some way to ensure that all the exposed parts of your circuit cannot come into contact with something conductive and cause problems.
I'm pretty sure this has been done before on some rc plane for possibly a rocket launch or bomb drop or something but I can't be sure.
You should also note that this is just a normal switch but instead of a servo driving a switch the servo is built into the mechanism itself.
That sounds like what I had pictured for a bottle rocket missile system with some ematches:p:censored:

Scotto

Elite member
Hot glue does not short.
You are right. I thought I did this before and got something. So I guess this means I can use hot glue instead of heat shrink.

Attachments

• 20220215_022759.jpg
    20220215_022759.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 0

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
You are right. I thought I did this before and got something. So I guess this means I can use hot glue instead of heat shrink.
Oh yeah! I very rarely use hot glue on circuits just because a good strong solder join is a lot better, but from time to time I use it and I am never worried about shorts.

SSgt Duramax

Don't know about you folks, but I have gotten motor wires hot enough to melt they hot glue. Makes a nice scale flaming airplane effect when crashing.
This, hot glue has a pretty low melting point, it is not meant for this. Hot glue has its place in electronics, but connecting wires is not one of them. Solder, good butt connectors, or the good ole twist and tape depending on the application is all I would use.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
This, hot glue has a pretty low melting point, it is not meant for this. Hot glue has its place in electronics, but connecting wires is not one of them. Solder, good butt connectors, or the good ole twist and tape depending on the application is all I would use.
Yessir! There is no reason to use hot glue unless you just want to cover the soldered connection with something.